Suspension Help

BMW5

Registered
Forum,

I hope the suspension Gurus will chime in and offer some advice. Here's what I have and here is my problem. 2007 Busa with RT extensions. I'm extended about 7" I suppose, and I have a pair of Soupy's adjustable links installed as well. The problem is that I have a hole in my trunk now from the rear tire rubbing when I hit a dip in the road , or I accelerate too fast. I know an air ride suspension will solve all my problems, but I'm going to wait until I upgrade to a 240 or 300 kit. For now, I think I need to upgrade my spring, or adjust the OEM spring. I weigh about 230 lbs. What do you recommend as an upgrade? Do we have any sponsors that can give a good deal on a heavy duty spring? Is it possible to adjust the stock spring enough to keep the undertail off of the tire? I really don't want to raise the height in the rear because I like the bike's profile now. If you are a sponsor, please respond with the price of a new, heavy duty spring.

Thanks,
BMW5

IMG00008a.jpg

I extended my 09 busa and all i did was replace the spring i got mine at all things chrome and works great and looks great its chrome plated and its heavy duty

jpeg_reencoded.jpg

0409091822c(2).jpg

Thanks for your reply. I have considered the same spring that you have from ATC. Did you lower your bike after it was extended? How difficult was it to install the new spring?

BMW5

i had the dealer do it before i picked up the bike and i did lower it. I bought vortex lowering links and moved it to the middle hole not sure how low it is from stock but looks good and handles just fine

info@swsuspension,com , John Brooks has the exact inforamtion you need and is reasonable, located out West in Phoenix , but has great reputation in setting up shocks. specially road racing, but does drag shocks too. Shoot him a kite(PM):bowdown:

You need to upgrade the rear spring to match the other mods you have on the bike now. When you change spring rates, you should have the shock revalved to match. I also let the shop do the work for changing springs and shocks.

i had the dealer do it before i picked up the bike and i did lower it. I bought vortex lowering links and moved it to the middle hole not sure how low it is from stock but looks good and handles just fine

How is ride comfort with the new spring? Are you able to ride 2 up without rubbing?

BMW5

yeah ride 2 up not a problem at all. Its a little stiff but looks great and works great also not a big issue at all

I ordered the heavy duty spring from ATC. I'll let you know how it works out after the install.

Thanks,
BMW5

I ordered the heavy duty spring from ATC. I'll let you know how it works out after the install.

Thanks,
BMW5

It's now a year later and I have finally installed the heavy duty spring I purchased from ATC. I am very pleased with the spring so far, and ride comfort is just as good, if not better than it was with the stock spring. I have not tried riding 2 up yet, but hopefully my wife and I will give it a shot this weekend. To all that have extended bikes and problems with bottoming out, the heavy duty spring is the way to go IMHO.

Regards,
BMW5 :cheerleader:

Back