Thread: Turbo big bore

Rookie

I have an 05 LE running a Hahn Stage1 turbo. I am looking for a way to increase my low end torque. I keep coming back to the idea of using a 1397 kit. Has any one done this using a simular turbo? WHat pistons are you running? What was you ovarall gain?

New Recruit

the bore increase will net you the torque you want, but will double your chances of having problems.
    2001 Project Busa- "The Poison Idea": TMH T-61 powered Ultra Kit, BST CF wheels, full Speigler brakes, Ohlins all the way around...and much much more..

2005 KTM SuperMoto- stock...but oh so much fun

WITH THE BIG BORE YOU WILL HAVE MORE TORQUE...BUT YOUR COMPRESSION WILL BE HIGHER EVEN WITH A SPACER PLATE, WHICH WILL LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF BOOST YOU CAN RUN...AS WELL AS INCREASE THE CHANCE OF DETONATION/PREIGNITION....TURBO'S LIKE LOW COMPRESSION....
    01 BUSA W/ VELOCITY STAGE 2 STREET KIT, BUILT MOTOR....
    02 GSXR-1000

I HAVE A 1360CC KIT ON MY TURBO BIKE. BEST BET IS RUN JE LOW COMPRESSION TURBO PISTONS. I GAINED 30FT-LBS OF TORQUE WITH THE OVERBORE.

VELOCITY STAGE 1 TURBO
    JE TURBO PISTONS
    1360CC BIG BORE KIT
    CARPENTER VALVE SPRINGS
    CARRILLO RODS
    UNDERCUT & FACE CUT TRANS
    O-RINGED HEAD
    POLISHED CRANK

NICE BIKE....
    01 BUSA W/ VELOCITY STAGE 2 STREET KIT, BUILT MOTOR....
    02 GSXR-1000

More mods plz..

<div>
    (busa2001 @ Sep. 24 2006,15)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">NICE BIKE....</div>
    +1
    2007 Busa (BLACK!)

Rookie

it doesn't cost much to get custom pistons to whatever compression ratio you want. A spacer plate isn't a very good choice anyway, ruins your squish band.

Go big bore if you like, get 8:1 CR pistons, and run 18 psi on pump gas....its a very fun combo!
    Ryan
    ryan.langford@comcast.net
    -------------------------------
    Turbo&#39;d 99 ZRX1100

New Recruit

I wouldn't go over a 1363 bore on the Busa. And you can use the JE turbo pistons and space as necessary to get "squish" with the dish low compression pistons. At .010 in the hole your still in the 9 to 1 range for compression and keep your "squish".

-

A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons. do that you say GOODBYE to your motor. lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost. you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost. keep it around 7 or 8lbs. if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler. with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.

VELOCITY STAGE 1 TURBO
    JE TURBO PISTONS
    1360CC BIG BORE KIT
    CARPENTER VALVE SPRINGS
    CARRILLO RODS
    UNDERCUT & FACE CUT TRANS
    O-RINGED HEAD
    POLISHED CRANK

Rookie

More lower end can be accomplished by a sprocket change or even simpler by dropping down a gear or two.

Rookie

<div>
    (03HAYABOOSTA @ Sep. 29 2006,14:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons. do that you say GOODBYE to your motor. lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost. you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost. keep it around 7 or 8lbs. if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler. with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.</div>
    hmmmm....well. If you're ever in the seattle area, I'll show you one

roughly around 40K miles turbo'd. Admittedly, not all of that has been at 18psi, and I've had more than a couple "issues" along the way....for various reasons.
    Ryan
    Turbo&#39;d 99 ZRX1100

I'm outta here!!!!

Images

I am not too familar with turbo bikes, but there is not subsitution for cubes.
    "In God We Trust"
    "Lifes tragedy is we get old too soon and wise too late"
    177.4 TX Mile March 2011
    189.7 TX Mile Oct 2011
    199.0 TX Mile March 2012
    210.5 TX Mile Oct 2012
    210.8 TX Mile MArch 2013

Hey Ryan. How many turbo Busas are here in Seattle? We should all get together next year and attend some bike event. Myabe a Kawasaki event. We'd be like gunslingers riding into town (insert 'Fist full of dollars music here).
    I know that Don Pearsol lilves near Seattle, and I've heard of two other turbo Busa's getting dyno'd locally.
    Anybody wana sell a copper/silver leather Suzuki jacket?

Rookie

I've yet to meet a single one. I've ran into a couple people at the track that knows somebody building one...but last I enquired on it, he blew it up before it even made it to the track

I spend quite a bit of time at kawi events....you might want to look at my sig

I'll be at the VME this weds (vintage motorcycle enthusiasts, incase you've never heard of it)
    Ryan
    Turbo&#39;d 99 ZRX1100

<div>
    (03HAYABOOSTA @ Sep. 29 2006,17:57)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">A guy above wrote that you can run 18psi of boost on pump gas with lower compression pistons. *do that you say GOODBYE to your motor. *lower compression doesnt have anything to do with boost. *you can bolt a turbo on a brand new stock busa and ride it that way for years, as long as you dont get greedy with the boost. *keep it around 7 or 8lbs. *if you want to run over 10lbs of boost you either need water injection WITH c16 fuel or an intercooler. *with the intercooler you can crank up on the boost and still run pump gas.</div>
    Great looking bike ! What swingarm are you running and how do you like it?
    MR MIYAGI
    WAX ON....WAX OFF !!

orange peel is caused by excessive speed

<div>
    (BlueHaya @ Sep. 29 2006,10:54)</div><div id="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div id="QUOTE">I am not too familar with turbo bikes, but there is not subsitution for cubes.</div>
    HAHA

for what? low rpm torque? yeah probably. Over all torque and hp?

I'll put my mild 7lb boost stock compression bike up against a 1397 anyday