Aftermarket ignition coils for turbos/nitrous

G-Force

Registered
Has anyone tried the energycoils, takai, Dynatek or Smart Ignition Module? Wondering if they really make a difference. I'm using 22psi boost and 0.018" spark plug gap, 120% dwell in the ecu - does not misfire but starts kinda hard, especially on C16 race gas. About 30,000 miles on the coils. Do they break down? I do have a mysterious boost issue that I've been chasing for years, just won't make boost like it used to. Too many details for that here, that may be a separate post...

Anyway, maybe weak spark is causing low boost? Although O2 is fine. But then again O2 was fine when it had 8 warped/burned valves and leaking 40% on 3 of 4 cyls and 90% on #2!!

They advertise those coils are needed for turbos/nitrous but no one seems to have any experience with them.

I'm running the NLR Smart ignition module. My bike fires up faster than oem. But that's all I can tell you now. After my Dyno session I'll update you on the outcome.

I have used the NLR SIM for several yrs, work great, no ign breakdown with good plugs at any boost level up to 30psi

as far as a simple add on to a std system its great

the M&W etc is more ign power again
LS2 need 5v square wave and would not work on a std busa ecu but great option with standalone if you dont mind the space they take up

I talked to the guy from EnergyCoil last night and he convinced me, so I'm going to try them too. He also said in a turbo application that dual grounds are better, so I'm going to switch from my iridium plugs to dual ground plugs, like the NGK CR9ekpa, or maybe the E3.38. Little confused on the heat range of those though, the cross for CR7e is also E3.38. I would like to go a range colder if anything.

I have a nlr sim in my turbo busa and it seems to work great. It has always had a sim on it since it has ben turbod though. so I can not tell you how much better it is then stock. as far as plugs about every one I know just runs cr9e's without any problems. Cheap and easy to gap. I pull plugs often to check the tuneup and put new ones in.

I talked to the guy from EnergyCoil last night and he convinced me, so I'm going to try them too.
Was there something wrong with tex. M&W PRO 14? Is the Energycoil capacitive or inductive? There shouldn't be reason to use exotic sparkplugs if the actual ignition hardware is powerful enough.

Has anyone measured the difference NSL SIM vs. normal Bosch 4-channel amplifier 0227100211?

We've notice that the bikes start up easier, and that throughout the RPM range, and at diffrent boost levels that the bike ran richer due to more complete burn. You can also get away with running bigger plug gaps. To me theirs no other reason not to run anything but a sim.

Nomex is the bosch ignitor a 5v square wave input or a 12v input, i thought they would not be suitable for driving from the factory ecu

We've notice that the bikes start up easier, and that throughout the RPM range, and at diffrent boost levels that the bike ran richer due to more complete burn. You can also get away with running bigger plug gaps. To me theirs no other reason not to run anything but a sim.
Have you heard anythin good or bad about the COP from energycoil or Dynatek?

Stock I can't find any specific information the stock Denso 33410-24F10 / 129700-4420

Specifications:

?????????

From Schnitz Racing website:

DynaTek

Specifications:

Primary resistance: 0.85 ohms
Primary inductance: 2.25 mH
Secondary resistance: 4.95K ohms
Secondary inductance: 12.1 H
Test voltage: 13.8V
Dwell time to achieve test current: 1.3ms=4.5A, 2.0ms=6.8A
Secondary available voltage: 24.8Kv @ 4.5A, 32.8Kv @ 6.8A