good clutch for a turbo build?

IRDEATH1340

Registered
just looking to see what clutches people are using, looking at 350-400hp on my build. something that can handle the dragstrip and be streetable, its also my daily driver.

MTc multistage lockup
Boost compensated lockup
Rock solid hand slider
Or just the regular MTc lock up is the cheapest route

you still located in nc? I live in Kannapolis NC. I am in Texas at the moment. I have a year vacation all expenses paid for by the US ARMY and while I am gone looking at having my engine built, then a turbo. I have run at Mooresville dragstrip a couple times.

you still located in nc? I live in Kannapolis NC. I am in Texas at the moment. I have a year vacation all expenses paid for by the US ARMY and while I am gone looking at having my engine built, then a turbo. I have run at Mooresville dragstrip a couple times.
Oh yeah. Paying on a mortgage. Be here a long time!!
Mooresville is my favorite track.

MTc multistage lockup
Boost compensated lockup
Rock solid hand slider
Or just the regular MTc lock up is the cheapest route

All of these are pricey and more focused towards drag racing. The boost compensated clutch is nice tho.

We typically use the velocity 2 stage lock up on a lot of builds in this hp range. You can still use your stock basket and hub, unlike the mtc 2 stage.

350-400 hp is enough to go 7's. u can buy a used MTC multistage for like $500. I use mine on the street all the time. I'm gonna switch to a Gen II tho this year.

the Gen II is more consistent tho cause its engine driven vs. input shaft driven. its a lot more money too at $2200. but imo worth every penny which is why its wat u see on most bikes goin real fast.

seems like the Rock Solid has really poor customer support and ppl at track often complain about how hard it is the tune. I do like the boost compensated NLR clutch but I jus don't see anyone using them so I can't say much about them other then I've never seen one before.

Ya rock solid used to have good cust support. But it fell off for sure. People used to brag abt how easy it was to tune. I dnt know. I've never had one.

thanks for the replies, thinking about the boost controlled clutch. this one from schintz racing,

NLR Boost Compensating Lock Up Clutch Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (99-15) - Schnitz Racing

has an air fitting that is recommended to buy with the clutch, is this for the alternate air source to control the clutch? I don't think any modification is needed if I just use the boost pressure to control it.

I plan on having wossner turbo pistons and rods installed, ss valves, heavier valve springs, ape valve guides, high pressure oil relief valve, high volume oil pump gear, ape shift fork shafts, now this clutch. I plan to leave the bike at lees performance and have all this done while I am gone, plus a turbo, just cant decide on a RCC stage 1 or 2....think with the engine built like this id be safe for a stage 2

u need an AMS 1000/2000 to run that clutch. I wud NOT opt for Wossner rods. pistons yes rods no. id go Carrillo rods.

thanks for the replies, thinking about the boost controlled clutch. this one from schintz racing,

NLR Boost Compensating Lock Up Clutch Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa (99-15) - Schnitz Racing

has an air fitting that is recommended to buy with the clutch, is this for the alternate air source to control the clutch? I don't think any modification is needed if I just use the boost pressure to control it.

I plan on having wossner turbo pistons and rods installed, ss valves, heavier valve springs, ape valve guides, high pressure oil relief valve, high volume oil pump gear, ape shift fork shafts, now this clutch. I plan to leave the bike at lees performance and have all this done while I am gone, plus a turbo, just cant decide on a RCC stage 1 or 2....think with the engine built like this id be safe for a stage 2

u need an AMS 1000/2000 to run that clutch. I wud NOT opt for Wossner rods. pistons yes rods no. id go Carrillo rods.

Not true, you can hook the line from the clutch to the under side of the plenum. You don't need have it runn off an ams. Only time you need that is if you are drag racing you can program the pressure to be applied to get it to act like a multistage lock up. But for basic street riding it's not needed.

bad experience with wossner gnbrett? id like the best, i haven't seen anything bad about either one, just that wossner is what schintz racing sells, figured id buy it all from the same place is all. any pros or cons of either one?

I'm running Wossner rods and pistons.. I went down the strip quite a few times on them....

As for the clutch, can't help ya, I have to run a stock clutch in my class.

bad experience with wossner gnbrett? id like the best, i haven't seen anything bad about either one, just that wossner is what schintz racing sells, figured id buy it all from the same place is all. any pros or cons of either one?

They've been well over 600hp as many times as any other big name internals. But you can't go wrong with either of the big names. So I would go off of price. Wossner wins. And if you're an org member you get a better price through me then schnitz. Call me tomarrow for pricing.

murderedout07 this is what im looking at from schintz, i also sent this to lees performance in Charlotte NC, they said they might be able to get parts cheaper as well waiting on a response from them, since they will have my 09 for the engine build and turbo install

2015-02-26-15-11-04.jpg

2015-02-26-15-11-13.jpg

2015-02-26-15-10-55.jpg

2015-02-26-15-10-46.jpg

Not true, you can hook the line from the clutch to the under side of the plenum. You don't need have it runn off an ams. Only time you need that is if you are drag racing you can program the pressure to be applied to get it to act like a multistage lock up. But for basic street riding it's not needed.
yea but thats not very accurate and pretty much defeats the purpose of the clutch being tuned thru the AMS which is wat ppl buy the clutch for. I only know 3 ppl who use it and none run it off the plenum.

ppl can run their WG off manifold pressure but there is a reason ppl run it thru C02 cause its far more accurate and boost comes on faster. no different then running the Boost compensated clutch thru the AMS. it simply works better and was designed to work thru the AMS. Seb didn't design it to work off of the plenum.

u keep referring to clutches being used for drag racing only or that the boost compensated clutch thru the AMS is for drag racing only. that cudnt be further from the truth. plenty of ppl run a multistage lock-up on the street and it works perfect then go to track and put lighter springs in it and plenty of ppl race on the street so its not just a drag race application nor is the AMS thru the NLR clutch a drag racing application only. having control of ur clutch characteristics on the street is just as vidal as it is at the track for many.

yes bad experience. motor melted cause #3 rod twisted. but its not just me. I polled a whole bouch of ppl over at psychobike who were makn big power and none of them run the Wossner rods any longer cause they too were melting their motors due to the Wossner rods failing.

I'm sure there r plenty who run big power who have never had an issue but I will never run them again and plenty of others feel the same way. Carrillo is the preferred rod. their pistons seem to work pretty well.

u can spend an extra $250 on rods or $5000 rebuilding ur motor wen ur crank, rods, pistons, head, valves, block and cases go due to a failed Wossner rod. ask me how I know....:whistle:

and that was at 17 lbs of boost on C16!!!!!! with A/F ratio 11.5-1 across the board. not some 600 hp dyno queen pull!

Brett,

The NLR boost compensated clutch is the exact same thing as the Anderson boost compensated clutches. NLR bought the rights to it. That clutch was on the market BEFORE the AMS1000 was even on the market. Not sure how you think that it was designed for use with the boost controller. We've used and sold many NLR boost clutches on bikes that didn't use a controller to run it. 1 psi of boost adds something crazy like 600 pounds of pressure plate force added to the clutch, on top of the static spring pressure. The concept is simple, the more boost, the mute pressure plate pressure.

And far as parts melting like you talked about, parts don't melt because of being inferior. Parts melt because of bad tunes, inadequate octane for boost, or a fuel pump, or injector failure causing to go lean. Now if you said your ring lands cracked, or broke a rod, then yeah I'd stay away from wossner.

Back