power commander 5 issue..

gsxr1216

Registered
So i just bought a PCV, and autotune and the POD display for all of it primarily just to clean up the cruising range of my bike as it runs really rich between 4k and 5k RPM, plus i figure i can use all of this stuff on my turbo sled in the off season to tune that better. My bike is a 2002 and has an older MCX intercooled turbo kit with a silver box to run the secondary fuel injectors that are mounted in the plenum.

Anyway, i plug it all in and the bike basically wont run at idle as it flooding the bike since for some reason its firing my secondary injectors in the turbo plenum?? why i have no idea?? i unplug the PCV and plug the OEM fuel harness plugs back together like its been for 10 years and the bike runs just fine. Plug the PCV back in it floods and you can hear the secondary injectors firing. If i unplug the harness for the secondary fuel injectors while PCV is still hooked in and it runs just fine so its for sure the secondary injectors being fired that is flooding the bike out. Why is the PCV somehow making my secondary fuel injectors fire? The secondary controller picks up a FI signal from the #1 fuel injector to know the RPM, and it has a MAP sensor to know boost which is not part of any of the OEM wiring harness so the PCV has no idea that MAP sensor exists or any of the secondary fuel system exists for that matter.

What could the PCV be doing to that injector signal that would mess with my secondary fuel controller??

I'm at a total loss as to why this is happening so any ideas would be appreciated!!!!

So i just bought a PCV, and autotune and the POD display for all of it primarily just to clean up the cruising range of my bike as it runs really rich between 4k and 5k RPM, plus i figure i can use all of this stuff on my turbo sled in the off season to tune that better. My bike is a 2002 and has an older MCX intercooled turbo kit with a silver box to run the secondary fuel injectors that are mounted in the plenum.

Anyway, i plug it all in and the bike basically wont run at idle as it flooding the bike since for some reason its firing my secondary injectors in the turbo plenum?? why i have no idea?? i unplug the PCV and plug the OEM fuel harness plugs back together like its been for 10 years and the bike runs just fine. Plug the PCV back in it floods and you can hear the secondary injectors firing. If i unplug the harness for the secondary fuel injectors while PCV is still hooked in and it runs just fine so its for sure the secondary injectors being fired that is flooding the bike out. Why is the PCV somehow making my secondary fuel injectors fire? The secondary controller picks up a FI signal from the #1 fuel injector to know the RPM, and it has a MAP sensor to know boost which is not part of any of the OEM wiring harness so the PCV has no idea that MAP sensor exists or any of the secondary fuel system exists for that matter.

What could the PCV be doing to that injector signal that would mess with my secondary fuel controller??

I'm at a total loss as to why this is happening so any ideas would be appreciated!!!!

A PCV does not interfere with secondary controllers. Try this: zero out the map in the PC, make sure there a NO values in any of the cells. Hook everything up again and see if the bike runs as it did before. Report back . . . :laugh:

A PCV does not interfere with secondary controllers. Try this: zero out the map in the PC, make sure there a NO values in any of the cells. Hook everything up again and see if the bike runs as it did before. Report back . . . :laugh:

I'm well aware that a PCV should not mess with my secondary controller, BUT this PCV IS interfering with my secondary controller somehow someway and that is the whole issue I am having. I don't know if its creating electrical noise that messes with my secondary box or what????

The map loaded is a zero map, I checked that first as it thought that was the problem, once I confirmed it was a zero map then I traced it back to the secondary injectors firing which is why the bike dies.....

I'm well aware that a PCV should not mess with my secondary controller, BUT this PCV IS interfering with my secondary controller somehow someway and that is the whole issue I am having. I don't know if its creating electrical noise that messes with my secondary box or what????

The map loaded is a zero map, I checked that first as it thought that was the problem, once I confirmed it was a zero map then I traced it back to the secondary injectors firing which is why the bike dies.....

Yes, that was the first step which you obviously already took. Secondary controllers usually "batch fire" the secondary injectors by sending a ground signal. Somehow, some type of wiring issue is completing a ground. I would eliminate the autotune (which is nfg anyway) and the display and start tracing the issue with the PCV by itself. Good luck . . .:whistle:

Yes, that was the first step which you obviously already took. Secondary controllers usually "batch fire" the secondary injectors by sending a ground signal. Somehow, some type of wiring issue is completing a ground. I would eliminate the autotune (which is nfg anyway) and the display and start tracing the issue with the PCV by itself. Good luck . . .:whistle:

The auto tune is not even wired in yet so that's not part of the issue (yet).... the display is plugged in but I doubt that matters as it plugs directly into the PCV so that should not affect any sort of grounding issue since that does not add any other wiring. Not sure how to even trace the issue from this point if its a ground issue and I guess I'm even more confused as to if it truly is a ground issue as to why it works fine with no PCV in the system??

Could something be wrong with the PCV itself? not sure, but it runs fine with no secondary system plugged in so that makes it more confusing..... fug I hate electrical issues and my guess is they wont let me return this stuff now as its been plugged in........:banghead::banghead:

Spent 30 minutes on the phone with DJ, first dude sounded like he was stoned out of his mind and couldn't differentiate between RPM and TPS talking to him repeatedly.......................

Finally I got to a guy who understands the product pretty good. Turns out the PCV pulls its power and RPM signal from the #1 injector which happens to be the same spot my MCX pulls its signal from, he has no idea why it would jack with my MCX box, but the only thought was to either move pins on the PCV to move it to another cylinder for FI signal and he knew what FI wires were which color for the swap, OR move my MCX trigger wire to another injector. Obviously no ideas if either will solve the issue or not until its tried out.

Now the bad part.... PCV will not be warranted if i swap wires in the plug ( like they would know, i can swap them back...) and they do not offer refund on installed products, well i had to install it to find out it didnt work.... So it sounds to me like i have a lot of $$$ in stuff i cant return even though its not my fault it wont work for my application. last i knew power commanders were for modified bikes, modified bikes may have secondary fuel controllers on them, hell last i knew they made the PCV PTI just for turbo applications which has the same plugs as the PCV i have in my hand...............................

SO today I swapped my MCX pickup to injector #4, same friggen result my rpm in the MCX box goes nuts any time the PCV is hooked into the bike....

Looks like I got $700 worth of useless electronics sitting on my bench now................................ :banghead::banghead::banghead:

So the million $$ question, is there someplace else besides the fuel system I can pick up the same RPM signal and voltage that I am currently getting off the FI wire?? Only other choice I can think of is coils, or tach wire but I have no idea if they output the same voltage signal and timing as the FI does and I don't want to go cutting wires apart then find out that wont work either??? So any ideas would be appreciated!

I would try the Tach signal wire for the cluster,I used it many times for microtec controllers,dataloggers and shift lights.Yellow and blue wire I believe.

Pretty sure you will read 2x rpm with the y/b wire if its configured for an injector
may be able to change the configure within the silver box with a jumper connector if its marked ,
or try a coil wire which also fires at the same rate as an injector

I think the signal from the tach wire in the harness and the signal from the coil are different. I recently had a problem with my autoshifter not working correctly with the tach wire...it would autoshift 2nd and 3rd...but not 4th. I have a boostbysmith setup and he suggested pulling the signal from #1 coil...but in order to do so I had to reprogram the autoshift from 2 cyclinders to 1 cylinder.....so there must be some kind of difference. Making that change took care of my problem...so it seems like it was just a dirty signal coming off the tach wire.

Pretty much what OZbooster said..

ok testing wires last night looks like coils wont work as I need a + signal for my MCX box and the coils are +12v as soon as the key is on so they must use the - to fire them??

I cant change the cylinder count (2x, 4x,etc) in the MCX box so I don't think the tach wire is going to work either... this stinks......

anybody need a PCV, autotune, and POD display.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

ok testing wires last night looks like coils wont work as I need a + signal for my MCX box and the coils are +12v as soon as the key is on so they must use the - to fire them??

I cant change the cylinder count (2x, 4x,etc) in the MCX box so I don't think the tach wire is going to work either... this stinks......

anybody need a PCV, autotune, and POD display.......:banghead::banghead::banghead:

If your MCX box is connect to power, 12 volts at the injector then the MCX box will not read rpm, the tach, or injectors pulse, coil pulse is all ground switched on the busa, if you do indeed have your tach signal from the MCX box connected to power then that is a big problem,

Richard

Back