Our latest trip, the Blue Ridge Parkway

todd moyer

Registered
Arriving stateside for my usual spring time / anniversary vacation was met with weather that wasn't exactly "ideal" but for living in the northeast I've seen worse. Late April is always a gamble but typically yields at least some miles to be ridden.

The first weekend of May my wife and I loaded up trying to make a quick exit from Western NY to get through PA between the impending crap weather. Day one started out cool, about 55 degrees, the mist in the air quickly turned to rain and within 8 miles at the PA boarder so we slipped on the rain gear. By the time we hit Lewisburg PA it was time for a break, gas up, get out of the rain gear and grab a snack at Sheetz :) From that point the weather was alright the rest of the day and we stopped off at Waynesboro VA. The next day was alright, overcast but no rain and we started our ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a late start so we made it only as far as Roanoke VA before calling it an early afternoon. The next morning we left early, we put down some miles, stopping here & there but more than anything we were just enjoying the good riding, lack of much traffic at all, good weather, and this lead us to Asheville NC. Day three the weather was superb! We finished the Parkway and turned north to Gatlinburg (big mistake). At that point the fun ended. SLOW SLOW SLOW traffic, slow speed limit, then dealing with the parking in Gatlinburg......... I was ready to just clear out of town and get rolling :banghead: We were able to laydown some tracks and make it back north to Waynesboro before calling it a night. The last day of our quick trip quickly went to pot when the rain moved in. Yeah rain and lots of it. One of those rides that just miserable but all part of traveling. By the time I stopped for a good rest in Chambersburg PA my wife was waaaaaaay beyond the point of unhappy, to say the least. After some very tense yet careful negotiations it was agreed (insisted upon) that we find an alternate mode of transportation home. I offered to go to a hotel but the weather forecast wasn't looking good so I gave in renting a U-Haul to load up in and drive the rest of the way home :( Oh well, how does the old saying go? A happy wife is a happy life or something like that??

So long story short, the Parkway was great. The views were spectacular, it was early in the season but the weather was good while down south! On the 469 miles of Parkway we only saw one state trooper and only a few Park Rangers. Only once did a Ranger flash his lights at me but to be honest I was rolling along at about 62-64mph. I pulled over fully expecting to a conversation with him but he didn't bother to come back which was fine with me lol. If I had a solid week or two to spend in the areas around the Parkway I'd be much happier but I didn't and am satisfied with the ride we had. The road conditions were good with only a couple sections in the northern portion that have crappy road surfaces.

Our plan was to run across the Cherohala Skyway then swing back to Robbinsville and catch some roads around there but time was running short for me :(

Picture taken at the southern end:
DSC_1083-Copy_zpse0cb57d1.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip. What a good husband to rent a U-Haul for the trip back. Had to laugh when I read that line. I bet your wife was quite upset! I ran through how that conversation would have gone between me and my wife in my mind. I think I would have done the U-Haul thing too!

It's a good laugh now that it's over with lol. :poke: The simple things we do in life to keep our spouses happy.

Getting ready to strap down Fionna in the U-Haul before heading home :whistle:
imagejpg1_zpsa8f54781.jpg

I just did a similar trip and totally agree about Gatlinburg. That place blows! We ran from Boston and started on Skyline Drive then the Parkway. Gatlinburg was on our way to Deals Gap which was great but surrounded by really great riding.

Im at the Mountain Top motel Fancy Gap on my sisters
1200RT shes 2up on her husbands rd king. We started
off from catonsville balt and rode to skyland in the dark,
lucky for us no wildlife, next day mostly misty and a little
cool thru to blueridge and now fancy gap, i must say
skyline dr is frustratingly long and slow, blueridge is alot
better even in the mist and damp road.
Ive adjusted fairly easily riding on the wrong side of
the road but i must say its a bit freaky doing 70-80 on
the 4 lane motorways with everyone driving/riding
in very close proximity...anyway not sure which way
we're riding today dont really care its a sunny day and