colorado mile whos in?

LeDauz

Registered
Just wondering who else signed up for the Colorado miles in September? Is supposed to be a sister event to Texas mile.

How do naturally aspirated bikes do up there?Was watching NHRA this weekend(Bandimere)and the Pro Stock bikes and cars were all about .4-.5 seconds off the pace.

n/a bikes do alright i guess, lived up here my entire life so my view my be off a bit, but would say expect aprox 10% drop in hp

That could be,I know the air can get a little thin out there(I lived just outside of Morrison[Turkey Creek Canyon]back in '82 and used to terrorize some of the local watering holes on an old Panhead:laugh:).:beerchug:

I'm in if I can get mine fixed and ready with required mods in time (lanyard, metal chain guard - I think that's all I need). My brother-in-law is coming up from Arizona with his S-1000-RR. He ran Mojave on his V-rod last year and talked me into doing the inaugural this year.

A few questions...

What kind of tires are you guys planning on running? I've never ran, so I'm expecting to be a Class C with the max speed of 165 for several runs and currently have newer (couple months old) Michelin Road Pilot 4's. I will probably put nitrogen in them as well to ensure they're stable. Will they be not just good but good enough?

And is anyone planning on running unleaded race gas (100 octane I think) or is 91 good enough?

I'm in if I can get mine fixed and ready with required mods in time (lanyard, metal chain guard - I think that's all I need). My brother-in-law is coming up from Arizona with his S-1000-RR. He ran Mojave on his V-rod last year and talked me into doing the inaugural this year.

A few questions...

What kind of tires are you guys planning on running? I've never ran, so I'm expecting to be a Class C with the max speed of 165 for several runs and currently have newer (couple months old) Michelin Road Pilot 4's. I will probably put nitrogen in them as well to ensure they're stable. Will they be not just good but good enough?

And is anyone planning on running unleaded race gas (100 octane I think) or is 91 good enough?

All I've ever run in mine(since 2011)is 89 octane which supposedly makes the most power on a stock motor Gen II(87 in a Gen I).On a really hot day,hot lappin',etc. I'd probably run 91,but I'd think that would be plenty(again,on a stock motor).

4 months on tires depends on how much you ride and your riding style. but those would be good. And you can request to move to the next license after you meet the requirements and get approval from race director. I think there are still spots open for it to. 100 octane might be a waste unless your tuned for it.

Welp, I did participate in the mile. Was the only stock Busa out there (engine, gears, etc. save for a Power Commander V and ATRE) running on 91 pump.

Best standing mile was 163.5, though I was full on my GoPro to film it :banghead:, the one linked below was my 2nd best.

I seriously need to get a speedohealer, and now with the LSR bug bit, gonna have to invest in some more go-fast parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAt9SuGIUw

Last edited by a moderator:
Which color busa were you you? Seen a couple Gen I's running out there. I was on the the orange Gen II with the mufflers pulled off, ran 201.4 on Friday, couldn't get over 199 on the other days.

I was the 06 Black Busa, #76. I debated on pulling my cans off, but kept them on. I'm guessing you were not stock.

How do naturally aspirated bikes do up there?Was watching NHRA this weekend(Bandimere)and the Pro Stock bikes and cars were all about .4-.5 seconds off the pace.
Bandimere Speedway is at 5800 feet, according to their web site. The friendly EMTs said that power is reduced 17% vs. sea level (don't ask why I have first person experience with them - ouch). Front Range Airport is at 5512 feet, according to their web site.

I watched the Colorado Mile in 2015 and 2016. Conditions are not very good for big top speed numbers. The airport is at 5512 feet, the air is hot and dry, and there was normally a headwind in 2016. Some riders I talked to who ran less than 200 mph in the mile said they were about 6 to 10 mph slower than at Mojave (2762 feet). FYI. YMMV.

Back