Higher Mileage Rear Tire?

stnick

Registered
I love to play but changing rear tires every 12-1800 miles is getting expensive. I got about 2500 on my original and then as I learned to ride the beast my rear mileage has continued to drop. I went with the Michelin pp 2ct front and rear and now 1200 miles later I'm seeing cord.
I don't do burnouts and I don't drag race. I do ride hard through the twisties and I do bring the front up occasionally.
Has anyone tried the new Michelin Road 2ct? it's supposed be harder in the center than the pp 2ct.
I run 42 psi and I weigh 250.

Thanks,

Nick

I am at 6400 on my original. Should have changed it 500 miles ago, but am very happy with it. On my last bike I used a continental road attack with good mileage results. I am probably going with the BT 56 again. Good grip, good mileage, and I have ridden in pouring rain with no problem. If it work, stick with it.

bowdown.gif
You need a sponsor
beerchug.gif
or a bud in the tire bizz!

I just finished my 2CT rear yesterday - 4473 miles - no burnouts, just twisties.

Metzler Z6 roadtec, excellent stick. excellent wear.

cheers
ken

Charles, what is the compounds on the PP 2ct? compared to the PP Road 2ct?

I run the bt56. Went 6700 miles on the first one and changed it when I got to the wear bars. Probably could have gotten to about 8000 on it. But then again, I do almost all highway riding. No burnouts, just some hard acceleration and some twisties every now and then.

The only 2 words you need to know: Avon Storm. Been running Avon's for 2 years and 30,000+ miles. I ride the dragon with Avon Storms and don't have any grip issues. They aren't going to stick like a set of Pilot Race's, but I get 7,000-8,000 out of a rear.

BT021. I ran it on an FJR for over 6000 miles. I'll be running them on my 08 when the time comes. Good corner grip. The rear is a dual compound. Smooth turn-in, and very predictable corner manners.

beerchug.gif

I have a PP2c on the rear and todate 6700kms on it and plenty left. On the previous Pilot road a minimum of 10 000 kms

Storms grip very good and have lasted decently for me but I hate to say it, a 250 pound aggressive high horse-powered busahead is going to burn-up tires even without the burnouts or pro-stock launches.

storm_001.jpg

There isn't a pefect tire for everyone. You need to find the type of tire suited to your riding style and narrow it down to the best mileage.  I myself don't like a tire with a whole lot of turn-in, so the Pirelli Diablo, Metzler M3's and Pilot Powers don't work so well for me. I like the more neutral feel of the Dunlop Qualifiers and the BT56's.

I've been running the Shinko Ultrasoft 003 rear tire and have been getting great mileage. I'm at 1500miles and the tire still looks great.

I'm running a pirelli strada, but by the sounds of it, I don't ride even close to nearly as aggressive as you do. I have a little over 3k on it and it's just starting to flatten out the top. it suits me just great. excellent in the rain and holds in the twisties for my mild to medium aggressive style. +1 on what GM said. it's an expensive trial & error. good luck

I get 5-7K miles out of the Maxxis Supermax. I have run them for the last 20K miles. They stick great and only cost $110 for the rear and $65 for a front. My son GSXTacy turned me on to them and we both have been running them for about two years.

With the Busa I find the Pilot Power Roads to be a good compromise for longevity and handeling. I like the "V" profile which makes for a quicker turn in on a big and heavy bike. The PP Roads will spin up in wet weather more so than the regular PP's. I want to try the Road 2CT's next. My second favorites are the Diablo Corsca III.

Back