Michelin Pilot Road 4 or Pilot Power 3?

Ahaulss

Registered
Just wondering if anyone has tried the new PR4's? I got about 4k miles out of my stock tires and looking for some new rubber. From my understanding the PP3's are more track ready than the PR4's however you trade longevity? :dunno:
Sorry I know this is a common question however I couldn't find anything on the PR4's, and would like to know what my fellow busa owners recommend. :badpc:
p.s. I live in AZ where its over 90+ all the time and we get no rain EVER, I've never been to the track however I do like the idea of having tires that can handle aggressive riding.
Thanks, any feedback would be great.

The pr4 is supposedly better than the pr3. I've only ever used them and really rate them. I've not unsettled the pr3 on hard riding. I've only just scrubbed the pr4 in so can't rate them yet but love the pr3

I love my PR3. It will be a while before I am able to try the PR4's as the 3's last a long time. I'm a str8 up type of rider, but the tires to handle well in the curves. IDK about the track

So far the pr3 are great! I've had them on the turbo bike for about 2500 miles and I can't see much wear. Take the twisters well too. I used to light up my old rear not not anymore.

A few mates with 1000's have moved to the PR4 from sportier tyres and not really noticed any lose in road ability.
I previously on a gen 1 tried PP2ct's and Dunlop Roadsmarts....preferred the feel of Roadsmarts as it worked better on mixed road conditions.
The PP2ct's are a great tyre and gives great handling and I doubt the PP3 will be any less of a tyre.
I'd say if your getting 4000 from the stock 015 then you don't need a sports tyre...get the PR4..should last double those miles.

Well I missed this a month ago, but I just wore out my first set of PR3's and have installed my second set. The 3's got 14K rear 15K front. No issues. I was thinking about the 4's , hey they must be better right. While waiting to get the rear replaced on a trip I spoke with a guy riding an FJR who just wore out a set of 4's in 8K miles. We both went with 3's :laugh:

Tire selection is one of those things that's completely dependent upon what you ride, where you ride, how you ride, how heavy you are and how much additional weight is on the bike.

I live in southeastern Michigan where there are few curves and the roads are mainly concrete. Therefore, the road surface works more like a fine sandpaper rather than a cheese grater on the tire surfaces.

I can regularly get 15,000+ miles on any tire but you live in Arizona so there are almost no tire experiences that I can share which will benefit you with one exception.....

I started using Michelin Pilot Roads years ago on my CBR1100XX. I then tried Pilot Road 2's and finally Pilot Road 3's. On my FJR1300, I used Pilot Road 3's and got almost 20,000 miles (weights about the same as a Hayabusa). Friends of mine have installed Pilot Road 4's on BMW R1200RT's and are very impressed with traction, handling and wear at almost 10,000 miles so I will simply say that if you like Michelin Pilot Road tires, you'll find that every new version will out perform the previous version so.... you should be happy with the Pilot Road 4's

I might suggest that you do a quick search on CBR1100XX, FJR1300, and ZX14R forums to see which tire lasts the longest in the Southwestern United States.

Pilot Road 4s fitted to my Busa a little while ago. Only done maybe 500 clicks so no idea on longevity yet. Grippy and quick to warm up though. Had Pilot Road 3s and 2s on previous bikes, as well as Pilot Power 2 and Power Pure from Mr Michelin.
Last set of tyres on Busa was Bridgestone S20, and they did the same as the OEM tyres, around 5000 kilometres.
I'd say if you're gonna do track time, go for the Pilot Power 3, though the wear will be much faster than the Pilot Road 4 of course.

There is an article on this where a quote from the Michelin Sales/PR guy quotes "The rider of a Hayabusa with PR3's will not be a happy camper". Michelin are very adamant about the tyre being a SPORT-TOURING and not Hypersport, as I understand that. If you are a relaxed rider then go with the Roads If you dont ride like a zombie you need the Powers in (good conditons) Given that the Pilot Road series 3/4 excel in WET grip and braking, given your in AZ and dont have to worry about wet roads I would go with the Power 3 I believe you'll have a better ride. Personally I want to utilize the Powers, but of course the British Summer is here and yesterday we had a months rain in a day so for me its the Pilot roads, or hedge hunting.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I love my PR3

pr3.jpg

latest issue of one of my bike mags has the reviewers saying on two bikes the PR4 had issues with wobbling or something, and they swapped tires because of it.

I was regretting getting the PR3 (before the PR4 was released) but now I don't feel so bad.

Got around 6500 out of 2 sets of road 3s, and around 9500 out of the first set. I hated the front after it was around half gone. I liked the road 2s better Last set I had Pilot power 3 front and a road 3 rear, better.

Leaving tomorrow on a 2000 mile ( or so ) sport touring trip. Just installed a new set of PR4 GTs. Will report back nest week.

I usually only get about 3000 miles out of a set ( very spirited riding around the Appalachian.)

IMG_20141002_182120_553.jpg

IMG_20141002_182215_991.jpg

I have the PR3's on my Hayabusa and the side grip is very good since they are dual construct. The PR4 was not available the day I bought the tire however, one of the guys at the shop has them and said they are a little better than the PR3. I had the Dunlop Q3 which picked up a nail in less than 1k miles and the same happened with the OEM except I had 1500 miles. So far, (knocking on wood) the PR3 has not picked up anything over the same roads which I am thinking is due to the harder middle contact patch.

Good luck!

I just went through this exercise. It came down to these or the new Avons. They were pretty closely matched after everything I read up on. I finally found the combo of the Avon Storm 2 Ultra on the rear and the Avon 3d Ultra Sport on the front to be where I went. Wanted a little more grip on front and the miles on the rear. I almost went with the PR4 rear and the PP3 on the front, but in the end I found a better price on the Avons, and they come with road hazard coverage. So I pulled the trigger there and get them probably by this weekend.

I have around 1500 miles on my Pilot road 4s now. I put this set on before the Busa Bash and 90% of the rides I have on these tires so far is in the mountains, Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway and the Blue Ridge parkway. They are great tires so far. My friend has a ZX14 and has them on it and has around 4000 on them, they still look real good, so we are thinking he should get at least 8000 out of them. The Pilot Power 3 tires will probably wear out the rear around 4000 miles and you might get 6000 out of the front.

A little history first. Bought the busa about 5 years ago with 15000 miles. PO swore buy bt016, but i,m not a fan of those. I,m about 180 lbs and ride solo. Mountain carving ( spirited riding ) around the Appalachian Mountains , a few track days , and a hand full of sport touring trips. pushing about 174 rear wheel HP. Our roads around Western Pa are VERY abrasive.
Went with regular Pilot Powers. Throught the years have tried ; Q2 , to soft , one track day tore them up. PP2cts, didnt like how that gripped going from the side to the middle compound. Conti motions, for the price , ok if your just touring around no good on the track and spirited riding. S20, pretty similar to PP, I liked them. Now remember , I have run PP in between all these others. I have only gotten over 3000 miles once ( trought about 8 sets of tires) My riding buddies call me the Tire Slayer! , and that is the last set of PP with i got about 4200, ( I toned down my riding style a little, just a little , hehehehe.
Now I cant say anything about the PP3s but the 4 GT ( made for the heaver bike ) the jury is still out.

Just got back from a 2000 mile trip from PA to Barber.
First day , loaded up with camping gear, cold morning start .
Had no time to scuff them in , took about 150 miles or so till they felt ok, a little slick.
Day two , hail, strong winds, thunder , lightning, heavy heavy rains, and twisties.
Sticks very good in those conditions, best tire yet for that.
Sidewalls could have been a little stiffer for my liking ,bbut great for a spirited touring trip.
Hit rain all three days back , and just loved the grip in the rain.
Barely looks like no wear after 2000 miles.
Going on one of our spirited sunday rides in two days, will report back

My understanding is the PR4 has a hard middle and medium sides, the PR3 had a medium middle and soft sides. I cant confirm nor deny.

Did a spirited ride , cool dry day , sticks pretty good.

new update will be a COLD winter ride , coming soon.

Back