zzz chain stretch?

I have the zzz on my 1k, this will be the 3rd season with a -2/+3 combo with thousands of street and strip miles. I have a zzz on my turbo busa that makes 315hp all last season with no issues.

i posted this same question bout 2 months ago. im riding with a d.i.d. chain now and love it. i forgot the part number but its the best one they make

Hmmm just installed my ZZZ chain today, set it tight expecting some stretch.

Bad Choice!

Setting a new chain tight in order to postphone the first adjustment is a perfect way to break the chain which often takes the case cover, water pump and clutch rod with it!

Bad Choice!

Setting a new chain tight in order to postphone the first adjustment is a perfect way to break the chain which often takes the case cover, water pump and clutch rod with it!

Not to mention that setting the chain tight will increase heat/wear and make it stretch that much quicker.

When I replaced my stock chain on my Gen 1 bike, i went ZZZ and put a new sprocket on the F and R

I rode it around town a few miles and went to the track. Had maybe 15 miles on it and the thing was saggin like the photos above. Also found a broken tooth and a few chipped teeth on the front sprocket. I thought something was seriously wrong, and took it back the the dealer (less than 2k miles) They had it for a MONTH and changed the front sprocket and chain, replaced them with a DRZ chain that lasted 8k miles. It may have lasted longer, but I started with it back in the adjustment and ran out of adjustment. I Replaced it with another ZZZ and had no problems from there on out.

I think that the front sprocket was junk, broke a tooth and wiped out the chain. Just MHO

I ended up getting an EK DRZ2 chain and went with 19-45 sprockets instead of the 18-42. Tried it out today with 11lbs of boost and it didnt appear to stretch at all, planning on going to the strip for the first time this year tomorrow.

So far I've learned from this thread that I'll be going with a DID chain after my stocker wears out on my boosted 14. So far the stock chain has held up way better to 8lbs of boost than the EKZZZ that guys are running here :laugh:

Back