Zx14 review

A'Busa'd

Donating Member
Registered
Sorry if this has already been posted.  Just got my new issue of Motorcyclist.  Review is kind of limited, no dyno numbers, but, dang!  The writers sure do like the thing.  The Busa is mentioned a few times.  The suggestion is that the 14 is better.  I'd like to see a comparo article.

<!--EDIT|A'Busa'd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144966546 -->

Again.....yawn. I don't care what they say. First off....kawasaki. Second, will NEVER be the legend that sits in MY garage. Double yawn....and scratch myself.

Again.....yawn. I don't care what they say. First off....kawasaki. Second, will NEVER be the legend that sits in MY garage. Double yawn....and scratch myself.
The Hayabusa was not a legend the day it was released...the ZX-14 could well be a future "classic" like the Busa is today.

The Busa is a frickin dinosaur when it comes to technology...still a highly desirable bike. Thats what makes a classic - timeless...Thats what makes the 67 'Stang so special...

Whatever man - I want one of each...THAT is what I call a threesome ;)

Sorry if this has already been posted.  Just got my new issue of Motorcyclist.  Review is kind of limited, no dyno numbers, but, dang!  The writers sure do like the thing.  The Busa is mentioned a few times.  The suggestion is that the 14 is better.  I'd like to see a comparo article.
Wasn't it just a short while back that motorcyclist billed the new Beamer as a "Busa Killer"?...and then just a few months later they did a "Big Dog Shootout" comparo between the Beamer, ZX-12R and Busa?...where they re-discovered that the Mighty Hayabusa even after 7 years was still King?...until HD came out with their $30K bottled out non-street-legal pee rod tha was billed as a "Busa Beater"?...and now "THAT" same rag gets a freebee ZX-14 and after a short "First Ride" they are pi$$'in all over themselves with exagerrated accolades for the ZX-14 at the expense of the mighty busa's rep?..."That Mag"?...."Those Editors"?....I think those fuggers would trash sara lee as long as 'lil debbie gave their sorry azzs a free cupcake. LOL!

I think the best word we got came from one of our very own posters who claimed to ride one from TX too TENN...said the ZX-14 was comfy and stock fer stock could probably take the busa in the 1/4 by a hair but that in his opinion the busa would out road race the ZX-14...with both having strengths and weaknesses against each other throughout their respective rev ranges...now "THAT"?...I believe.
biggrin.gif

and like the drunk said to the complaining homely woman...

"Yeah...I'm Drunk...But the difference is I'll be sober by morning."

BTW...I don't get why Kaw would lean towards a strong 1/4 miler with the new 14 and then do it with an engine design that precludes one from going "Big Bore" as the jugs and main case are one piece...which means....no big bore kits for the new 13.5 Kaw...odd if ya ask me.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

dood. It was a legend three days after the first one hit the ground. Remains a legend today. Ten years from now, the simple word "busa" will still mean something. I'm telling ya right now, Suzuki didn't stand still before and they won't this time. Wait and watch. Sorry, just personally not a big kawa fan.....had too many. Again, this is why Baskin-Robbins makes thirty-something flavors
biggrin.gif

Hey, don't shoot the messinger guys! Just reporting what I read. Still love my Busa.

I DO want to see a head to head comparo though. "Sport Tourer" was mentioned quite a lot in the article.

YES!! YES!! MUST....SHOOT....MESSENGER!!!

Heheh...j/k man. I have yet to get me the new mag, but from the sounds of it, Kawi is holding back some stuff. Why no numbers? Are they falling short of a mark somewhere?

Sounds oddly like the release of the 12R. And we all know how that turned out.

Still, I'm hopin it'll be an interesting year.

Go out and get the mag. Read it for yourself, draw your own conclusions. I still want the shootout comparo. Maybe Sport Rider will take it on?
rock.gif

Let it happen...do not care, how strong they come...we'll figure something, engine mod or 07 busa or what ever it takes...
rock.gif

<!--EDIT|hydrabusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145097523 -->

JINKSTER made a significant point - even if it IS a Busa beater - this will be the first "teething" years for the big kwak. Remember all the problems the Busa went through to get to this stage? I dont think they sorted everything out until 2003.

Anyone on the new Kwak will have a LOT of fun...and a LOT of pain as well as they become the beta testers. If it is a significantly better bike on the road - a good time to jump ship will be:

1) Once all the problems have been sorted out
2) Compare with the next gen Hayabusa
3) Make the best decision

Considering that Suzuki's starting platform is the current Hayabusa - there is little that can go wrong. I would want to see:

1) Same cosmetics and body style. This is a "quality" that shouldnt go away
2) Same 1300cc engine with modern materials and electronics. NO REASON to go bigger - focus on performance and efficiency...and reliability. Use what you have, make it better and easier to live with.
3) Better brakes - as they are the brakes are good - plenty of room for improvement
4) Factory lowered - the stock busa is too high under any circumstances...even for regular road use. Lower it a bit.
5) Better headlamps
6) Turbo as an option - factory installed turbo, tuned ECU and exhaust
7) Gear indicator as standard
8) Throttle Master as standard (for cruising)
9) Gearbox makeover - stricter engineering tolerance for better repeatability.
10) IMPROVE THE DEALER NETWORK AND CUSTOMER SUPPORT
wow.gif

Oh and - make sure your litre bikes dont annoy the king...the gixxer thou is uncomfortably close as it is right now...maybe even better
wow.gif
mad.gif

<!--EDIT|gsferrari
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145116179 -->

wow.gif

also....I've noticed that...kaw sure is taking their sweet azz time releasing this bike to the masses....almost as though they are testing the market waters to see how many will pay-in-full to see how it will fair against the extremely strong seated Hayabusa...and gives them more time to flood the market with sales hype...word is...Red will be made available for delivery first...and then the prefered colors of Black and Blue will follow....which is consistant with advertising efforts as the red is the one the seem to always debut in ads here stateside...which hints that the insiders like Gadson were delivered bikes months in advance for testing, tuning and de-bugging...which in turns hints that the production lines might not even be fired up yet...so here's hoping that Ricky ID's all the bugs for all the new proud owners.
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

The Hayabusa was not a legend the day it was released...the ZX-14 could well be a future "classic" like the Busa is today.

The Busa is a frickin dinosaur when it comes to technology...still a highly desirable bike. Thats what makes a classic - timeless...Thats what makes the 67 'Stang so special...

Whatever man - I want one of each...THAT is what I call a threesome ;)
Please explain how the Busa is a "dinosaur" compared to newer bikes like the ZX13.5.
Is the ZX lighter? Is it more aerodynamic? Does it handle better? Does it brake better? Is it significantly (if at all) faster? Does it have a CPU greater than the Busa's 32 bit unit? Does it have some feature that puts it over the top like a motorized suspension that you can adjust while riding, built in GPS or traction control?

If you're going to compare the Busa to a '67 Mustang, then you better compare the ZX13.5 to a '68 Camaro.

I could care less what magazines say. There opinions are payed for by big corporate. The only real test is someone that had it for a year or so and then sells it (without wrecking it). THey will be the only true un biased judge.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

<!--EDIT|Bruiserman
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145470434 -->

You guys are brutal, I would be scared to post in this forum if I had a ZX-14.
biggrin.gif

I did receive the issue myself and I do not think that the article suggests that the 14 is better. As a matter of fact, they just leave it to chance suggesting that the 14's success depends on its credibility with the "racing" crowd.
I also noticed that the article mentions that the 'busa became an icon after the "racing" crowd (typically drag racing) adopted it.
I think that the busa was a hit regardless of the racing crowd.

Anyways, I agree with you that the article was at most vague. No good information. I just hope that they re-do the big dog shoot out they did back in October and that this time they include the 14.
I still do not like the 14 physically.

jim

well...after a chilling out period...and further consideration?....

1. You're still getting the fit and finish of a kaw. (which imho?..is the worst of the big four)

2. It's still ugly as sin and finally?...

3. I still swear it's nothing more than a punched out 12R except with far more hideous bodywork and four eyed headlights.

I'm also going to make a prediction...and remember...yo heard it hear first from Jinkster....

"THE ZX-13.5 IS GOING TO HAVE A SERIOUS HEAT PROBLEM WHICH WILL SLOW ROAST IT'S OWNER/RIDER"

Rant off and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back