WWII plane found in Egyptian Desert

That's pretty incredible. I've often wondered about things like that, how many planes are still sitting in jungles or deserts, how much ammo is sitting under the European soil dropped during the last two World Wars. Think about how many rifles are sitting in Vietnam still loaded. Not really viable but still dangerous. Folks today will find Civil War cannon balls, decide that it'll look great next to the fireplace only to find out that 140 year old powder can still explode. Quite a legacy we're leaving behind.

When I was in Libya we took a trip to a place called Leptis Magna.
See thread here >>> https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/rand...is-magna-outside-tripoli-wanna-take-walk.html <<<

The trip was a couple hours or so thru the Libyan desert. On the way we saw lots of stuff sitting there right where it got destroyed during WWII. From jeeps to tank turrets half buried in sand. But these were all known and not missing. At the time and still till now I dont think the Libyan govt has granted anyone salvage rights as the whole area there is considered by many to be sacred by vets. It would have to be a govt led historic expedition and not a private enterprise most likely. But there is tons of stuff out there still in decent condition.
The plane above I guess is more valuable because it's been 'lost' for all these years.

I love stuff like that I used to love Unsolved Mysteries when they'd do the Bermuda Triangle and Lost planes and such!!

man what a find for both hopefully they can find the pilots remains and give him a proper burial, thanks for sharing, awesome stuff:thumbsup:

It may be British but the plane is an USA designed P40. Very similar to the P40s used by the flying tigers in Burma.

Back