wtf does this mean?

Transmission, Billet 6 Speed, Suzuki Hayabusa

it says it's an auto trans, not for use on the street. shiftable with ZERO kill. how's that work?

Robinson Industries makes these. Instead of engagement dogs on the gears, there are ramps. You still use an air shifter - the ram moves one gear into the next with no ignition or fuel kill. Because of the ramps, one gear "slides" into the next. I had this same type of transmission on my Top Gas bike. Again, because of the ramps, you can't back out of the throttle either - if you did, it would push the gears apart, bending the shift forks. Thats why it is not suitable for the street. You launch, shift, shift, shift, and at the end of the quarter, you pull in the clutch and roll to a stop. They happen to work great - my Top Gas bike used to carry the front tire the entire length of the strip . . .:thumbsup:

Robinson Industries makes these. Instead of engagement dogs on the gears, there are ramps. You still use an air shifter - the ram moves one gear into the next with no ignition or fuel kill. Because of the ramps, one gear "slides" into the next. I had this same type of transmission on my Top Gas bike. Again, because of the ramps, you can't back out of the throttle either - if you did, it would push the gears apart, bending the shift forks. Thats why it is not suitable for the street. You launch, shift, shift, shift, and at the end of the quarter, you pull in the clutch and roll to a stop. They happen to work great - my Top Gas bike used to carry the front tire the entire length of the strip . . .:thumbsup:

:worthless:

Interesting stuff.:thumbsup:

Utilizing the proven billet output shaft already in service in hundreds of Hayabusas around the globe, the new all billet 6 speed auto, constructed from high tensile aircraft quality steel also has a 30 mm input shaft, 3 engagement dogs instead of 4 for easier shifts and taller 5th and 6th gear ratios of 1.10:1 and 1:1 for more M.P.H.. It will fit in the stock engine case with no modifications or machine work necessary. Just add your choice of bearings: stock, heavy duty, or ceramics from World Wide Bearings , and you are ready to go! This transmission has already been used in the world’s first six second Hayabusa, owned by Rob Bush of Fish’s customs and has so far run a best E.T. of 6.82 sec. and 200 M.P.H.$

busa_6spd1SM.jpg

that's wild man. i'm glad someone knew what it was. so as soon as you back out of the throttle, it pops out of gear? hm. wonder who came up with some wacky nonsense like that

that's wild man. i'm glad someone knew what it was. so as soon as you back out of the throttle, it pops out of gear? hm. wonder who came up with some wacky nonsense like that

Actually, Jack O'Malley came up with that in the early seventies, and it is not wacky at all. If you don't have any type of ignition or fuel kill, that means the bike is "powered" all the way down the track. Funny bikes have been using these trannys forever - thats why they carry the front wheel the whole way - no cut in power.

I used my auto three speed in my Kawasaki funny bike for two seasons in a row with zero problems. It was one of the reasons I was able to go sevens with a KZ1000 turbo motor. In drag racing, every second - every micro second - counts!:laugh:

Back