Won't shift normally slop in shifter

CoryMckinstry

Registered
So I dumped like 700$ into my 02...tires tune up headlight oil change and spent 2 days fixing a wire problem in the light system..Got it ready for the yr..Today me and the wife took off on it and Got to the end of the spur and I began slowing down from 70 going through the geers.going from 5th to 4th I felt the shifter get real sloppy and was barly able to get through 2nd.I pulled off the road and shut it off.The shifter is now all sloppy but will go into neutral. I started it and tryed to get it home.I took off in first shifted into 2nd still with a lot of slop and got it into third.Thats all I could get out of it but mad it home. Im realy hopeing one of you guys might have an ideia as to what just happend.It feals like a retern spring broke becous the shifter doesnt retern to a normal pasition it just flops down to the lowest it will go?...

if the clevis is tight on the shift shaft and not just spinning on the splines. you need to order a shift shaft gasket and then pull it. the retainer clips or spring could be broke..I have shift shafts and gaskets if you find that's whats wrong. check the splines on it first..

if the clevis is tight on the shift shaft and not just spinning on the splines. you need to order a shift shaft gasket and then pull it. the retainer clips or spring could be broke..I have shift shafts and gaskets if you find that's whats wrong. check the splines on it first..

I checked the splines on the shaft and they are fine and snug.... next weekend Ill dig into it and check the spring and retainer clips...Ill let ya know what I find.Thanks for your help

So I dumped like 700$ into my 02...tires tune up headlight oil change and spent 2 days fixing a wire problem in the light system..Got it ready for the yr..Today me and the wife took off on it and Got to the end of the spur and I began slowing down from 70 going through the geers.going from 5th to 4th I felt the shifter get real sloppy and was barly able to get through 2nd.I pulled off the road and shut it off.The shifter is now all sloppy but will go into neutral. I started it and tryed to get it home.I took off in first shifted into 2nd still with a lot of slop and got it into third.Thats all I could get out of it but mad it home. Im realy hopeing one of you guys might have an ideia as to what just happend.It feals like a retern spring broke becous the shifter doesnt retern to a normal pasition it just flops down to the lowest it will go?...
I think you answered your own question. I test rode a bike with the same exact issue, broken return spring, and it did the same thing.

Back