wobble at high speeds

busa854

Donating Member
Registered
I went riding today and tried to top it out a couple of times. When I got to about and indicated 180 the front end started to wobble a little bit. So I backed out of it thinking maybe it was rider error or road surface. A little later I got into it again and again at about 180 I get this wobble. It's not real bad, but it's bad enough to keep me from staying in it. I have topped it out several times before with no problems. I checked the tires for flat spots and anything out of the ordinary, but all looks good. Anyone ever had this happen? Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Mitch

1. I check tire preassure, that would be first culprit...

2. Maybe tire/rimm not balanced anymore...

3. Bent rim...

4. You got anything hanging off the bike that would cause extra wind resistance, thus a wobble effect at high speeds...?

...I'd say it might be cause your wheel is not balanced properly!!

MC tires have a tendency to cup as they wear, thus the wobbles......that means that you either need a new front tire or if wear isn't that bad, a rebalance job.

Make sure you check again before running. That is not a good thing at all. Tire or balance. Check to see if you tossed a wheel weight.

+ TAKE A PEAK WHERE THE CHAIN ADJUSTMENT BOLTS ARE ON THE SWINGARM, NOW LOOK AT THOSE NOTCHES ON THE VERY END OF THE SWINGARM. MAKE SURE THEY MATCH ON BOTH SIDES. THAT COULD CAUSE THE BIKE TO FEEL UNSTABLE. THEY DO LOOSEN UP OVER TIME.

I think one of the members here had the same problem, If I'm not mistaken I think he said it was a warped rotor that was the problem.

Tire pressure is 38psi and I checked the wheel weights. I am about due for a new rear, I guess I'll take the front as well and have them balance it.

only go 179...
biggrin.gif

Back