rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
speedo... no workie.

no power at the speed sensor.

no power at the first connection.

no power at the back of the speedo.

So... I spliced in some juice just above the speed sensor,this makes the speedo work again.

I'm guessing the combo unit(speedo,tach,fuel,etc) gets its power from the orange wire perhaps another, but that power for the speed sensor comes out of the combo unit. So, my guess is that I have a broken connection within the speedo.
Juice doesn't get from the combo units main supply into the speed sensor circuit.

ideas,answers,full flaming
AAAssjani.gif

hav an electrified 1...RSD.

power at the back of the cluster in the following wires:

orange

gray

blue w/red tracer

I'm guessing there should also be power in the black w/red tracer. This feeds the speed sensor.

Should any of the other wires at the back of the cluster be "HOT" .

According to the schematic, this is a simple part of the circuit. The ground(earth) is on the same circuit with half a dozen other things , they all function. A single wire (black) runs from the speed sensor to the cluster. A wire supplies power to the speed sensor(black w/ red tracer. Here lies the problem.

Should this black w/red tracer be hot before it goes into the cluster? or does it get its power FROM the cluster.

anybody know ?

could someone disconnect the wiring connector on the back of their cluster , turn the ignition to "on" and see if there is power at the black w/red wire?

could someone do that for me?

thx...Rubb.

Heck, RSD, living on Gilligan's Island like you do, I wouldn't think you'd even need a speedometer. But I digress..
laugh.gif

Heck, RSD, living on Gilligan's Island like you do, I wouldn't think you'd even need a speedometer.  But I digress..
laugh.gif
always a fuggin Smard-Alec...

actually, it feels like Gilligans Isalnd lately...

we've had some bad luck here an' there Haywood...

How you bin man? Its been a bit cool out there lately eh?

Time for an' island respite perhaps ?

hav a cool 1... but not too cool... RSD.

ya, it's been a tad cool, but i've been riding this year. supposed to warm up again this weekend so who knows, brother, i could be out again real soon.

not sure if i'll make it out to the island again this year, like i was last, but you never know. this working for a living is def. cutting into my leisure time..

From the manual for GSXR1300 - 2001 M.Y.

15 wires total

Gray wire - Speedo illumination leds
Black / white - ground for lights and LED's
Black / Red - from / to speed sensor
Pink - From / to speed sensor
Yellow / Blue - from / to ECM
Blue / Green - From / to ECM
Black / white - from to Speed sensor and ground.
Blue / light green - to fuel level sensor
red / black - to fuse #2, + 12volts
light green - turn indicator led, right turn
orange / green - to fuse #5 , +12volts
blue - turn indicator led, left turn
gray / yellow - to oil pressure switch
yellow - high beam indicator
blue black - to fuse box and neutral indicator led

From what I can see there are two sources of power to the speedo panel. As a caveat, use a multitester and not a test light.

In the fuse box, there is a turnsignal side stand relay... this little ####### seems to control the power to EVERYTHING. It has a couple of diodes in it.

Hope this helps

I made it work again a couple days ago.I gave the circuit power from the orange wire.

I dont like to fudge things...but I'm bored an' pissed of with this piece of...

hav a good 1 RSD

Back