Wind Speed

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
and retains the world record for wind speed, 231 MPH[/quote]

Not to sounds like a smart azz but the okc tornado beat that by a long shot.... I know this because a good friend of mine has a sign that says "Fastest winds on Earth recorded here" it was the exact spot where the mobile radar recorded the winds... That is also about 6 miles as a crow flies from my house...

Scientists measured the fastest wind speed ever recorded, 318 mph, in one of the tornadoes that hit the suburbs of Oklahoma City on May 3, 1999

USA Today

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
and retains the world record for wind speed, 231 MPH[/quote]

Not to sounds like a smart azz but the okc tornado beat that by a long shot.... I know this because a good friend of mine has a sign that says "Fastest winds on Earth recorded here" it was the exact spot where the mobile radar recorded the winds... That is also about 6 miles as a crow flies from my house...

Scientists measured the fastest wind speed ever recorded, 318 mph, in one of the tornadoes that hit the suburbs of Oklahoma City on May 3, 1999

USA Today[/quote]
The highest surface wind speed ever officially recorded is 372 km/h (231 mph) at the Mount Washington (New_Hampshire) Observatory in the US on 12th April 1934, using a heated wire anemometer. The anemometer was later tested by the US National Weather Bureau and confirmed to be accurate.

A higher windspeed recorded at 380 km/h (236 mph) during Typhoon Paka in 1997 in Guam was declared invalid because the instrument was damaged during the storm and could not later be checked for accuracy.

Windspeeds within certain atmospheric phenomena (such as tornadoes) may greatly exceed this value but have never been accurately measured. The figure of 509 km/h (316 mph) during the F5 tornado, Moore in Oklahoma, USA is often quoted as the highest surface windspeed but was measured by Doppler radar (which is only able to provide an estimate) and was measured 30 m (100 feet) above ground.

Radar as an estimate? Hmmmm
rock.gif

Top Speed 1/10 mph as listed above, how ironic the slowest machine and 4 of the fastest machines in the same pic!

Okay, reposted from the other thread:

Those of you who think you know what a high wind speed is need to come to my house the next time my wife and her gf's start talking about makeup and purses.

lurk.gif

FWIW, I drove (in my little Mitsubishi Eclipse) through Moore about 10 minutes after that tornado. Unbelievable to see the damage from that vantage point.

Back