Will stage 1 ghetto...

gtrpimp76

S.Q.U.I.D. Extraordinaire
Donating Member
Registered
Motorhead has a sale on his kits right now. $3400 for the base kit. Not sure if it includes dump/or full exhaust, boost controller, etc. Will this type of kit run ok with an all stock motor? And what is the max boost that it will be able to attain? Looks like a pretty darn good deal.

Its a good deal to say the least...

Yea, it will work on an all stock motor... Motorhead may give you HD clutch springs and maybe valve springs, but that will be about it on the inside... Everything else will be bolt-on...

You are probably going to run around 7-8 PSI safely with stock internals... Dennis will give you this info. when you buy it...

One word to the wise... Although this turbo kit "appears" bolt-on, be ready for a money pit... These high performance engines will eat your money so if ALL you have is 3400 to spend, I don't know if I would do it and take the chance if I were you...

how so?from parts breakin or what?
Its about time someone around here asks the right questions...
biggrin.gif

There is a lot of things that can go wrong with a turbo system, let me tell ya, and I have witnessed them first hand... The biggest, easiest, and most devastating thing that seems to happen with our turbo motors is "accidentally" going lean in some way... There is many ways that it can happen and normally when it does, the engine goes boom and needs new piston / rod at the very least.

Seen one guy that has had 3 sets of pistons in his motor and still hasn't got it setup right. He put JE pistons in to begin with, but after burning them, he went with stockers on the next two sets because he wasn't running that much HP anyway... I haven't heard that he has it working right yet...

Buddy of mine in my local club put a ghetto together and because he missed one minor detail on routing the boost hose, he ended up cutting it with the fan and going straight lean on the dyno which blew his motor and required a couple of K of work...

On my tuners bike, we were rethreading the cases for the bigger head bolts and we ended up stripping 3 in the case... Luckily, he knew how to repair it and it worked, otherwise, he would have been looking at large amounts of money...

On my bike... I think the ECU was bad because the bike wasn't running right when I got it together, when I hit boost, it stumpled real bad like it wanted to die, I bet I was going lean on it becaue the ECU wasn't kicking in, but I still haven't figured it out yet. I have the new ECU here and I have yet to install it...
sad.gif
Needless to say, I expected to have my bike together for frist of the season, but still haven't got it together yet...

Tuner is often the key to a good experience and a good one is going to cost ya, let me tell ya If you try to do it yourself, you may miss some of the pitfalls that others have already run into and costing yourself more money then if you just would have got a good tuner...

I am not saying it ain't worth going turbo, I am just saying, you better have turbo money because it is going to cost ya...
smile.gif
It always seems too... Hunt for DOC_BUSA on this site and look at all the issues and money he had to dump into his bike and never got it working right. He ended up selling it after running out of cash...
sad.gif
It sounded like the tuner was his issue, but nontheless, he was the one eating the cash...

CLoud

<!--EDIT|Cloud9
Reason for Edit: None given...|1129836762 -->

sad.gif

how so?from parts breakin or what?
Its about time someone around here asks the right questions...
biggrin.gif

There is a lot of things that can go wrong with a turbo system, let me tell ya, and I have witnessed them first hand... The biggest, easiest, and most devastating thing that seems to happen with our turbo motors is "accidentally" going lean in some way... There is many ways that it can happen and normally when it does, the engine goes boom and needs new piston / rod at the very least.

Seen one guy that has had 3 sets of pistons in his motor and still hasn't got it setup right. He put JE pistons in to begin with, but after burning them, he went with stockers on the next two sets because he wasn't running that much HP anyway... I haven't heard that he has it working right yet...

Buddy of mine in my local club put a ghetto together and because he missed one minor detail on routing the boost hose, he ended up cutting it with the fan and going straight lean on the dyno which blew his motor and required a couple of K of work...

On my tuners bike, we were rethreading the cases for the bigger head bolts and we ended up stripping 3 in the case... Luckily, he knew how to repair it and it worked, otherwise, he would have been looking at large amounts of money...

On my bike... I think the ECU was bad because the bike wasn't running right when I got it together, when I hit boost, it stumpled real bad like it wanted to die, I bet I was going lean on it becaue the ECU wasn't kicking in, but I still haven't figured it out yet. I have the new ECU here and I have yet to install it...
sad.gif
Needless to say, I expected to have my bike together for frist of the season, but still haven't got it together yet...

Tuner is often the key to a good experience and a good one is going to cost ya, let me tell ya If you try to do it yourself, you may miss some of the pitfalls that others have already run into and costing yourself more money then if you just would have got a good tuner...

I am not saying it ain't worth going turbo, I am just saying, you better have turbo money because it is going to cost ya...
smile.gif
It always seems too... Hunt for DOC_BUSA on this site and look at all the issues and money he had to dump into his bike and never got it working right. He ended up selling it after running out of cash...
sad.gif
It sounded like the tuner was his issue, but nontheless, he was the one eating the cash...

CLoud
Along with potential fueling issues (going lean) a turbo will let you know what the weaknesses of your bike are i.e. output shaft, oil pumps and the list goes on...In most cases I would not recommend a turbo install for someone that just wants a little more or something different...I wanted something different and boy did I get it...I calculated for the cost of the turbo but did not calculate for any additional expenses...Turbos are fun when their running right but nite mares when something is wrong...

sad.gif

make sure that this "deal" isn't his new ghetto kit with internal wastegate he was talking about making for a budget. Always get a kit with an external wastegate!!!!

My stock motor ghetto ran flawlessly this summer. Put about 4-5k mi on it this summer.

Dennis also built and tuned it though. I just wanted to make sure it was done right so I had the best do it.
smile.gif

Good stuff guys. I'm still doing TONS OF RESEARCH and I believe Gary Evans just put a linky to the science of turbos. There are some books out there that I may have to get my hands on. I know fstbusa and soon NitrousJunkie have the ghettos so I'll continue to watch and see how your rides continue to handle.

Just go with a 1397 motor...after endless money...I wish I would have stuck with the 1397 motor and cams....I like the Turbo when it runs right...but that is almost never...and the money pit is endless...

This has been the same experience the Bug keeps hearing from turbo owners! When they run, man get out of the way. But, when they're having problems........... Break open your walet!

Bug. How do you like your 1397? Reliable? Well, I would assume so since you still have it, right?

also a ghetto on a stock bike with .5 bar spring is great
.6 bar on stock injectors is the limit.
but as long as a good installer and tuner get it done you will be happy

dennis installed and tuned my bike.... couldn't be happier.... flawless running all summer...
smile.gif

Just go with a 1397 motor...after endless money...I wish I would have stuck with the 1397 motor and cams....I like the Turbo when it runs right...but that is almost never...and the money pit is endless...
And this would be why I'm going 1397 with a shot. I'm low on $$$.
biggrin.gif
1397 is not as cheap is you think is... NOS is cheap though...
biggrin.gif
until you spray a big dry shot and things go BOOM
smile.gif

biggrin.gif

And this would be why I'm going 1397 with a shot. I'm low on $$$.  
biggrin.gif
1397 is not as cheap is you think is... NOS is cheap though...
biggrin.gif
until you spray a big dry shot and things go BOOM
smile.gif
+1

PERFORMANCE = MONEY
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Back