WILL LOWERING MY BIKE REALLY SCREW THE RIDE UP?

TAZEONE

Registered
will it really mess up the turning ratios and suspension if I drop the bike? and what else do I need besides a lowering strap for the front and lowering links for the rear?

thanks

the front WILL turn in faster than normal. if you just want to lower it for the track a strap will do just fine. Otherwise if you want it to be lowered all the time, get a new triple tree, or bar risers like GenMar or Reapers.

the bike will tend to ride slightly rougher when lowered but not so much I think it will bother you. Plus you can mess with the suspension settings once its lowered to compensate.

Actually mine handled better or maybe i just felt more confident on it ---30in inseam.... If you gonna keep it low all the time use lowering links in the rear and bar risers in front.

will it really mess up the turning ratios and suspension if I drop the bike? and what else do I need besides a lowering strap for the front and lowering links for the rear?

thanks
lowering the front by way of the strap is a big mistake, unless yer a drag racer . The strap just compresses the suspension leaving you with a bike that will handle like crap .

Got yer adjust. kickstand ?
Ready too drag yer pegs around corners ?
Dont forget to adjust yer chain .
For you.....and I'm just guessing here....don't bother.

hav agood 1....RSD.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE EVERYONE.....

BUT PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THE BAR RISERS LOWER THE BIKE IN THE FRONT?

also, which is better the triple tree or bar risers?
and do I need upper and lower triple tree clamps?

thanks again.....
I really want to lower the bike for the look without having to sacrafice my smooth ride.

If your riding style is biased towards twisties, don't lower it. If biased toward "street-drag", a 1" drop in front with a 1.5" - 2" drop in the rear is a workable compromise. "All out drag" settings usually dictate slamming it down all the way (1.5"+ front, 3"+ rear) but it kills cornering. I use 1" down front, 2" down rear and love it.

Maybe some pics will help... (and yes, I do use a front fender
tounge.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
VERY NICE^^^^
SO YOU USE A TRIPLE TREE HUH?
DO I NEED A LOWER AND UPPER?
IS IT BETTER TO JUST GO WITH BAR RISERS?

WILL I FEEL A BIG DIFFERENCE AROUND TURNS WITH A 1" F AND 2" RR DROP?

AND THAT RACE READY SIDE PANEL LOOKS REALLY NICE, I THINK THAT MIGHT
BE ONE OF MY NEXT PURCHASES.

you only need an upper tree if going that route... I prefered using risers cuz it moved the bars towards me and up slightly for a more upright riding position.

thanks
Oh... and to answer your question. I have had my lowered for sometime, 1.5" front / 2" back... Rides great, I had the rear lowered 3" at one time, liked the look but did not handle well at all (surprise).

TAZEONE - It is a Triple Tree Cover, sometimes called a Top Bar Mount. It mounts in place of the stock bar mount but with larger holes so the fork tubes can slide up into it for lowering. Your actual triple trees remain unaffected. Below is a pic with both stock and billet covers for comparison (in the pic, it has not yet been lowered which is why the forks are still recessed):

More pics here:

and here:

"IS IT BETTER TO JUST GO WITH BAR RISERS?" That's your call/preference.

"WILL I FEEL A BIG DIFFERENCE AROUND TURNS WITH A 1" F AND 2" RR DROP?" - There is a difference but, to me, it is minor for routine riding. I will not hesitate to run Deal's Gap with mine lowered this way although it will not be as agile as with the stock height. It's all a matter of your personal riding preferences.

Puck - These real carbon mirrors are expensive babies $$... like nearly $300 new. There is a set for sale here:

Also, I am thinking about removing mine (and cover my mirror mount holes with plates) so if you want mine (virtually new at a good price) email or call me.

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice bro ^^^ thanks for clearing that up....
looks like I'll be lowering my bike afterall.

but I do like the idea of risers because I would like the more comfortable ride feeling.

thanks again.

thanks
lowering the front by way of the strap is a big mistake, unless yer a drag racer .  The strap just compresses the suspension leaving you with a bike that will handle like crap .

Got yer adjust. kickstand ?
     Ready too drag yer pegs around corners ?
       Dont forget to adjust yer chain .
         For you.....and I'm just guessing here....don't bother.

hav agood 1....RSD.
RSD- whats the deal with the chain? I didn't know any adjustment was needed when you dropped the bike

thanks -dan

RSD- whats the deal with the chain? I didn't know any adjustment was needed when you dropped the bike

thanks  -dan
I'm not RSD, but...

Due to the change in angle of the swingarm, lowering the rear lengthens the wheelbase slightly and the chain will be tighter than it was at stock height/length. If it was runnin' a little loose before the drop, you might be ok. If it was on the tight side at stock height it might be too tight and cause you some real headaches, like chain breakage, premature wear of the sprockets, etc...

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077142934 -->

Back