When To Change Coolant

bird1300

Registered
When should the coolant be changed? I am thinking about doing it now since I don't know the history of it. What coolant should I use? Parts house, wally world, or dealer? Thanks!

If it's new to you, now is good.
I think the manual says every 2 years.
As to what brand, everyone has an opinion.
You can use pre-mix 50/50, or full antifreeze plus water, mixed 50/50. Distilled water is recommended.
Water Wetter or similiar can be added or ran straight, per each brand's directions.
You also must "burp" the system after draining and refilling, as an air pocket can cause overheating.
It's all very simple, and not something to be overly concerned about. If it's clean and full, you're good. After a couple years, the coolant can break down and deteriat the hoses, as well as any o-rings, gaskets and rubber parts.
It usually takes quite a few years of neglect for any damage to occur, but 2 years is a safe number.

Book says two years, I did my first one at 8 years and the stuff coming out looked the same as the stuff I put back in. I've had no cooling system issues at 9 years and 90K miles.
90,000 is impressive. Have you had to perform any engine or transmission work? Just curious.

Change every couple years. I also prefer to flush too. Use DISTILLED water ONLY. DO NOT use any coolant that is not made for aluminum. Your safe to stick with Suzuki coolant. I suggest only using the concentrated coolant and mix it with distilled water yourself. It is awfully difficult to get the premixed stuff to the right concentration after you flushed.

When should the coolant be changed? I am thinking about doing it now since I don't know the history of it. What coolant should I use? Parts house, wally world, or dealer? Thanks!
You should flush when it isn’t blue! :poke::poke:
Per @c10 recommendation I used the Honda type 2 long life and it was also blue which was a bonus!!

740E9FFB-1E64-427C-8365-43E26BD25B2B.jpeg

Back