Whats the best Boost gauge for my bike?

turbohayabusa

Registered
Running a Turbo busa, looking to run about 10 psi but looking to upgrade next year for more power.

Ive fitted a Blitz stepper motor boost gauge but dont like it. (seems slow)

What in everyone's opinion the best type/make to go for ?

Cheers

How about a small, surface-mount, digital?

blue-boost-square-small.JPG

Anything with a dial on it usually fails sooner then later because of vibration. What frank posted is a good option.

We started installing the aem fail safe gauge. It's an all digital 2 1/16 gauge, with a boost gauge, and wideband built in to one. If that's not enough of a selling point, it also has a built in data logger as well.

If you want just a boost gauge buy something small that you can mount easily like the one from Powerhouse but if you want something really good i think the AEM failsafe gauge is the one you want.
I have one and it has been a really good tuning tool but be prepared to buy-fabricate a good mount and use some silicone to water proof the AEM gauge.
I asked them and they replied to me saying that the AEM failsafe gauge was never designed to be waterproof.
Chris

I like the digi one pictured...I also got the fuel pressure gage of the same style

gotta admit that little digital one is pretty slick and easy to see. mite have to look at one of those over my current one

Does the small digital gauge have a highest boost recall option?

No, it does not, but that is something that can be easily done with some creative plumbing and one air toggle switch. The digital gauge pictured is just that: a gauge. It displays vacuum and boost up to 150 psi . . . and yes, there are matching fuel pressure gauges, temp gauges, etc., if you really want to get silly.:whistle:

I find it really hard to look at a boost gauge at all. I guess after a couple years of track racing turbos maybe it might be something you could do but I don't have the ability yet to do anything but look forward and stay in the lane with the shift light being the only thing I can peripherally see and concentrate on going straight especially if there is any spin or front wheel rise. Datalogging and looking after each pass is the only way I can see that. Even on open road, to really look at anything other than through your windscreen when under full boost seems pretty dangerous to me.

I find it really hard to look at a boost gauge at all.
I haven't managed to look at my AEM gauge even once...
I find it very difficult to watch the gauge past 120 miles per hour :please:
Chris

Honestly, I just find the boost gauge is a good parking lot conversation. During riding it is really non-functional as I don't even look at the gauge or the speedo during a pull. I just look for the shift light.... Save the cash and put it towards something functional?

^^Datalog. Look later. Especially since you are running 10+ PSI. If anything, if I really could look at anything, I would be looking at an AFR gauge and making sure I am not too lean. I don't care how much boost I am making, but I do care if my motor is going to go off like a claymore.

maybe you don't look at it but I sure a shiit do. and not only on my Turbo bike but my Turbo car as well. How u gonna know if the wastegate is working right, or boosting to the right psi or if ur having a boost spike problem or if boost is starting to leak like with a torn diaphragm in ur WG.

unfortunately a lot of ppl like you just aren't in tune with their bike and don't pay attention to shiit like this. and its pretty important shiit to be aware of....:whistle:

their not just for show and parking lot conversation. no offense but that sounds utterly ridiculous!

Honestly, I just find the boost gauge is a good parking lot conversation. During riding it is really non-functional as I don't even look at the gauge or the speedo during a pull. I just look for the shift light.... Save the cash and put it towards something functional?

maybe you don't look at it but I sure a shiit do. and not only on my Turbo bike but my Turbo car as well.
Just my opinion follows.
It all depends on the rider and the road condition.
I do believe that you watch the gauge like many more, in my case i can only look at the gauge if i am below 120m/h.
Any faster and my head is locked (or should i say "freeze") to the road.
I am not denying that you need to monitor for boost creep, that's why i also bought one.
Chris

maybe you don't look at it but I sure a shiit do. and not only on my Turbo bike but my Turbo car as well. How u gonna know if the wastegate is working right, or boosting to the right psi or if ur having a boost spike problem or if boost is starting to leak like with a torn diaphragm in ur WG.

unfortunately a lot of ppl like you just aren't in tune with their bike and don't pay attention to shiit like this. and its pretty important shiit to be aware of....:whistle:

their not just for show and parking lot conversation. no offense but that sounds utterly ridiculous!

So you're telling me that in an 8 second or less pass, you have enough time in each gear to look at your boost gauge to tell whether you're at the right boost, a spike, or a boost leak? Are the pro street boys staring at their boost gauge to determine this?? :suspect: I doubt it. The guys I know don't. Also, a certain fabricator doesn't include a boost gauge in most of their kits now. Wonder why.. you and I have a bunch of this fabricator's products.

Don't get me wrong, the data is very important and must be used....real time vs logged...depends on how you look at it.. Tuning, of course it's important, on the dyno or a pull on the highway...

My reference was from being on a quarter mile, maybe I should have stated that, not in a texas mile stretch or a roll on the highway, but "fortunately" "people like me" are in tune with their bike. I do pay attention with how the bike is set up and running.. I must have a "feel" for the bike that you don't. Not tryin to start anything, but don't label anyone you don't know... It was just my .02.

lol well its not like I'm starring at it every second I'm on the bike but yes of course I look at my boost gauge. u don't have to be going 200 mph down the 1/4 mile to be looking at ur boost gauge. during test and tune you watch it as ur testing and tuning ur bike. same thing on the street.

I think ur confusing an all out pass vs. testing ur bike before u make that all out pass and wen ur on the street 99% of the time I'm out of full boost.

yes it wud be a little hard to see wen ur going down the track but its not like u gotta worry about someone turning in front of u so if ur pointed str8 yes u can look at ur boost gauge. every time? no, but it can be done if ur comfortable going fast.

its not about having a feel for ur bike. if ur waiting to "Feel" somthn its likely gonna be parts being scattered from ur bike down the track. u don't check oil pressure either I take it?

things happen fast and yes usually faster then u can let off the throttle especially wen detonating but I've caught a few issues with my turbo car and let out and prevented blowing a head gasket and maybe melting my motor. yes easier in a car I agree but can be done on a bike too.

I think I wud mount it a little higher then Frank mounted that customers cause its a little hard to see but my boost gauge is pretty much eye level on my bike but I do like that digital one.

So you're telling me that in an 8 second or less pass, you have enough time in each gear to look at your boost gauge to tell whether you're at the right boost, a spike, or a boost leak? Are the pro street boys staring at their boost gauge to determine this?? :suspect: I doubt it. The guys I know don't. Also, a certain fabricator doesn't include a boost gauge in most of their kits now. Wonder why.. you and I have a bunch of this fabricator's products.

Don't get me wrong, the data is very important and must be used....real time vs logged...depends on how you look at it.. Tuning, of course it's important, on the dyno or a pull on the highway...

My reference was from being on a quarter mile, maybe I should have stated that, not in a texas mile stretch or a roll on the highway, but "fortunately" "people like me" are in tune with their bike. I do pay attention with how the bike is set up and running.. I must have a "feel" for the bike that you don't. Not tryin to start anything, but don't label anyone you don't know... It was just my .02.

IMG_0013.jpg

Every pass is an all out pass!!!!! ..lol. Just kidding. I think we are on the same page with this. :thumbsup:

Back