What's that noise?

Hayabusawannabe

Registered
Ok so I'm hearing this strange noise when the bike is cold. It occurs when I try down shift from 3rd, 2nd, 1st, etc. Fortunately I'm not going fast at all and once the bike is warm it doesn't happen at all. The best way to describe the sound is like the chain skipping over the sprockets. Since I have no idea what it is I just pull the clutch and use the brakes till she's warmed up. The chain is a EK 530SRX and it's at the correct tension I do believe. This is also the best chain I've used so far, lasts long is priced right and hasn't given me any problems. The sprockets are JT Steel and the bike is a stock 2005. I have no idea exactly how many miles are on the chain (I forgot to log the mileage) but I clean it about every 700 and lube it twice a week with Chain Saver. Any ideas? ???

Look at the teeth on the rear sprocket. You could be skipping a tooth and it's time for a new drive line.

Rear sprokets look fine, chain looks good, no missing rollers. I've never been able to master setting the chain tension. When ever I have a new one put on I just push up on the chain till it touches the swing arm and then I try to keep it like that as time goes by. I didn't take the cover off of the front sproket, I've never attempted to take that cover off so I didn't want to mess anything up. Doesn't sound like crunching but more of a fast clunk, clunk, clunk. I only hear/feel it for a second when I forget and try to downshift when cold.

Back