What would you do

The first bike i every rode is the 97 1100 Blackbird that i currently own. Never been down....
It is in the riders frame of mind. Smaller bikes a easier to turn at low speeds and are more forgiving. Bigger bikes, weel you know... MSF rider course IS I beleave the best thing that your bother can do FIRST. Having a brother to show him the path... PRICELESS

(kennym4 @ Jul. 31 2007,03:13) Hey what's up guys ?

Here's the deal, I have a baby brother who is getting ready to turn 18 next week. He's wanting to get a motorcycle,a 750 (Gixxer) He's been riding dirt bikes since he was 8 years old, his last one, a worked 125 Honda. Well he's the baby of the family, I was the baby until he was born when I was 16. He pretty much gets anything he wants, but my mother is scared to death !! My father had Harleys when I was young, so he's all for it. However my mother is looking to me for my opinion, and with all these posts lately of people getting taken out, I have to admit, I'm kind of scared also !!!! Now I already said I don't think a 750 is a good idea. I don't want to be a hipocrit, but at the same time I'm affraid my mom would never forgive me, or worse, herself. I really respect what you guy's (boys & girls) think about this, so please let me know what you think !!

THANKS AGAIN
My take:

He has barely any driving experience. A motorcycle and that lack of experience is a very bad combination.

If he really wants a bike make him take HIS money and buy it himself. Last thing you want is for him to take a spill and then you live with the fact that you bought him the bike.

Now, having said that, if he does buy a bike, take some time to ride with him and keep an eye on him. Tutor him so to speak. I'm sure he looks up to you and will listen to what you have to say. Discuss safety and all that stuff often.

Bikes are the most dangerous thing anyone can do.

Be a mentor and ride together as much as possible.
super.gif

(Professor @ Jul. 31 2007,04:43) A SV 650 or Honda Interceptor would be a much better choice for a first bike than a 600 or 750. They can still get you hurt but they both are a little more forgiving to throttle input.

Insist on 2 MSF classes. A Basic Rider course BEFORE he ever rides and an experienced rider course after he gets used to his bike. Gear is another way to survival. Training and gear are just part of the total cost.  

His attitude will have more of an influence in his ability to survive on the street than the bike. If he is a “risk takerâ€￾ in the things he does now, likely he’ll be taking excessive risks on a street bike.
+1 Very good idea.

had a young friend got a new 600gsxr last week.this week he has 200miles on odo,a broke arm , trashed bike.first street bike.no MSF and running with a bunch of squids , he was askin for trouble.you gotta respect what u ride & dont jump in over your head.

(dadofthree @ Jul. 31 2007,15:27) Be a mentor and ride together as much as possible.  
super.gif
this is good advice and MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF MSF

you said you have read the incidents around here about guys getting taking out have him read it to and then make it sink into his head by stressing the seriousness of it all and how much people love and need him

(GMbusa @ Jul. 31 2007,12:40) He sounds like your typical young guy/potential rider. He wants a bike, but he wants to be alittle above everyone else. Everyone else has a 600, so he wants a 750.  This is something we all wanted or did in our younger years. Nobody wants to be one of the masses, we all want to stand out somehow, someway.
Dude I think you nailed it right there !!!!

I have been super close to my little bro, and he's super mature....FOR HIS AGE.... In some way I'd feel better about him on a bike. I know when I was younger a car was a place to hang out ! Loaded up(with people), music loud, laughing at the clown in the back seat, and paying attention to every thing accept the road. Well that's what we did anyway.
I've even let him ride my Busa, in the neighborhood, and at slow speeds he does almost as good as I do !! (which ain't nothin to brag about)
A big part of me wants him to get one because that's something we can do together. I'm trying to get my Pop to get one too!!

Thanks for the input !!! I'm going to let mom & pop look at this.

Motorcycle riding is a very dangerous sport. From beginners to seasoned pilots we all take that chance every time we ride. There's no grace period for any beginner or experienced rider. Make sure your brother understands that and don't become to comfortable when he rides. The MSF course is a must for him along with good leather riding gear, a good helmet, and foot protection. The dirt is one thing, but the street is more dangerous.

Back