What to use for water injection?

69ls1

Registered
I just put a water/meth injection on the bike this winter. I think I am going with the 50/50 mix. Is there any benefits of using one of the companys premix (boost juice or devils own are 2 examples)? Or is there any differance in just mixing my own methanol and distilled water in a 50/50 ratio myself? What are you guys using? Any pros or cons of either?

Thanks.

pic

DSCF2064__Small_.jpg

I would just use regular distilled water or drinking water. That way when you are on a ride and need to top off the reservior, you can just dump in a bottled drinking water at the gas station. Water has much better detonation suppression capabilities then methanol anyway.....Although methanol will help cool the charge and act as high octane fuel and water really doesn't help the burn, actually it displaces the oxygen and could cost a few HP as opposed to gaining it.

BUT all the big boys(RCC, Velocity etc) run straight water...after all its mainly a safety measure, not used to increase hp.

I am going to try a 175ml/min nozzle to start with. The nozzle calculator I used said it will be close. I had my bike tuned without the injection. So I just want the injection to be used as a safety.

I would just use regular distilled water or drinking water. That way when you are on a ride and need to top off the reservior, you can just dump in a bottled drinking water at the gas station. Water has much better detonation suppression capabilities then methanol anyway.....Although methanol will help cool the charge and act as high octane fuel and water really doesn't help the burn, actually it displaces the oxygen and could cost a few HP as opposed to gaining it.

BUT all the big boys(RCC, Velocity etc) run straight water...after all its mainly a safety measure, not used to increase hp.
Actually water adds HP

It is used to cool the A/F charge and it also has close to double the expansion of gasoline when it is added to the combustion process.. So you end up with a denser A/F charge and greater expansion rates.. and more HP

I would just use regular distilled water or drinking water. That way when you are on a ride and need to top off the reservior, you can just dump in a bottled drinking water at the gas station.   Water has much better detonation suppression capabilities then methanol anyway.....Although methanol will help cool the charge and act as high octane fuel and water really doesn't help the burn, actually it displaces the oxygen and could cost a few HP as opposed to gaining it.

Actually water adds HP

It is used to cool the A/F charge and it also has close to double the expansion of gasoline when it is added to the combustion process..  So you end up with a denser A/F charge and greater expansion rates.. and more HP
I was only doing it as a safety, so if it will add a couple of HP all the better.

I would just use regular distilled water or drinking water. That way when you are on a ride and need to top off the reservior, you can just dump in a bottled drinking water at the gas station.   Water has much better detonation suppression capabilities then methanol anyway.....Although methanol will help cool the charge and act as high octane fuel and water really doesn't help the burn, actually it displaces the oxygen and could cost a few HP as opposed to gaining it.

Actually water adds HP

It is used to cool the A/F charge and it also has close to double the expansion of gasoline when it is added to the combustion process..  So you end up with a denser A/F charge and greater expansion rates.. and more HP
I guess it depends on who you talk to....In theory, YES, finely atomized water vapor in the charge will cool it down, more importantly when it hits the chamber it works REALLY well to cool the chamber off....But there are opinions that water vapor displaces oxygen in the cylinder which pulls power away. It takes up area that could be compressed oxygen but its actually now compressed water. BUT with Methanol, the methanol actually burns like a fuel which helps more completely burn the water vapors and that helps with HP....

You only want to inject enough water to keep detonation down...if you shoot too much water, you will lose power. Thats why all the sophisticated car systems actually measure the flow of water and meter it, as well as ramp the rate of water being injected....the less you shoot in, the better it is BUT you have to keep enough in it to keep the chambers cool....

go www.waterinjectioninfo.com
Lots to read there.

when using the 175 id turn the pump pressure down. looks like a snow performance. so its just a matter of turning a small screw. just enough water to supress detonation is all you need. also dont have it turn on until high boost 8-10lbs. another thing also is that the water/methanol corrodes stuff bad, i seen it on my bros bike. it really junked up the throttle bodies and also it gets into all your vacuum lines and can really f up an fmu if your using one. I actually took off a water injection system i used to use because of that.

I would use the blue water windshield washer fluid. Has a mix of approx 30 percent ethanol and 70 percent distilled water. Make sure when you shake the bottle, it doesn't sud up. The one that suds up has the cleanzer in it (not good for the engine). It has been proven to work wonders for decades (started in the turbo grand national crowd). Cheap at only $0.99 a gallon and you can add 2 yellow bottles of HEET (alsmot entirely ethanol) to produce an almost 50/50 mix for cheap.

Methanol is what causes the corrosion, straight distilled water or drinking water will not corrode. The worst thing you MIGHT see is plugging up of the water jet due to calcium type build up. BUT if you mix it with Methanol, you will get some corrosion....From a reliability stand point, water only.

Becareful when using "washer fluid" as most now are not methanol at all, and a mix of some other crap that REALLY jacks up pumps etc.... Go to that link I sent you, its a website by the people from Aquamist(who are the leaders in water injection) they will tell you lots of stuff, mainly what to and not to do info....

50/50 methanol and distilled water gets you the best blend of charge cooling, detonation suppression and additional fuel benefit...... BUT straight water will get you MORE detonation suppression, less corrosion in the WI kit and engine itself, plus its easier to refill when on the road.

For the safety of the engine and WI kit, stick with straight water.....

Just a simple winter mix windsheild wash will work great with a Aquamist system or other water injection...

I run the snow setup on my truck and water/meth has been the most help. Almost 75hp with it. 200 degree drop in EGT's and this is at only 45psi of boost.. I will be adding it to the bike soon. I ran a water/meth kit on my turbo T buick years back and the added octane it creats while using meth is a safety I do not care to be without.

i use 50/50 water and denatured alchol from ace hardware a 150cc nozzle sureflow pump 100psi comes on at 6#

Back