what oil for your built motor?

02bluebusa

Registered
Just as title says. I bought a bike with a built motor and the stealershiyp said to use suzuki oil. Is it ok if I don't run synthetic cause that's what he sold me?

People get passionate about their oil choices on here. So you might start a war. :laugh:

My choice and money goes to Rotella 15-40 oil. Same stuff I run in my diesel trucks. Have run it in the 6 busas I've owned.

Those bikes have been everything from stock engine with spray, stock with turbo; on up to built to the hilt high boost.

Ok your correct, they only state what to do for the break in!

How many miles are on since the build?

when you say "built" what exactly do you mean. is it a ported head two intake cam bike? or a 1585 with a billet crank?

ultimately, oil is better than no oil, and clean oil is better than dirty oil. change the oil often, and inspect it.

on our 1507 engine, we change the oil after every 5-10 passes at the dragstrip.

when you say "built" what exactly do you mean. is it a ported head two intake cam bike? or a 1585 with a billet crank?

ultimately, oil is better than no oil, and clean oil is better than dirty oil. change the oil often, and inspect it.

on our 1507 engine, we change the oil after every 5-10 passes at the dragstrip.

From what I know it has bigger pistons, cams, head work, clutch. I don't think anything had been done to the bottom end

If your the type to ride your bike 4-5k miles between oil changes, then use a good motorcycle specific synthetic oil.

if your one that changes the oil under 2k miles, a good motorcycle specific non synthetic will serve you well.

OEM or billet reusable filters.

I use the maxima premium non-syn 10w40 with a k&p billet filter and change it every 1500 miles on my stage 1 turbo bike.

The oil does not need to be the factory suzuki oil. in fact for the money i would not buy the suzuki oil. i would stick to the oem filters though.

Brad Penn race formula 5w-30 in my race bikes and street bikes (Brad Penn is the old Kendall "green" race oil)

Just bought mine with a built motor / turbo and was told to use rotella + 1/2 quart Lucas oil stabilizer. Anyone else using the oil stabilizer?

I can tell you more and more engine builders like and use Amsoil Dominator race oil, Carpenter, Knecum and Schnitz use them and nothing else, that I know of. I know Rotella is not what it used to be, since government regs on oils they all had to remove most Zinc and Phosphorous, by law for on road use, so that being said it is no better than any other on road stuff,
I use in my 1635 Amsoil Dominator 10w30 in my Harleys I use the Brad penn SEMI syn 20w50 race oil, that's all I will use, and yes OEM filters, or the Amsoil filters that are made by wix Brett

what I have noticed in high performance engines is the oil breaks down and will not hold good oil pressure
Rotella and chevron Delo will not break down or lose oil pressure its made for diesel 's and they get 400,000 miles +

Suzuki does not have an oil refinery , however Chevron (Delo) and Shell (Rotella) are real oil refinery's

as for synthetic oil ??? years ago any thing made from oil was a synthetic ??

so is synthetic oil made from oil ??? after all oil's comes from crude oil:laugh:

I also use Amsoil 10w 30 Dominator on my 1441cc Like Brett , We also had the same builders . Carpenter/ Knecum . Hastings oil filters have worked well for me too

Back