What Oil And Filter Are You Guys Using?

K&N oil filter so I can have a better access with that 17 mm nut on it sacrilege I know but I am using a semi syn car oil and change it every 3 to 4 thousand km :thumbsup:

K&N oil filter so I can have a better access with that 17 mm nut on it sacrilege I know but I am using a semi syn car oil and change it every 3 to 4 thousand km :thumbsup:

You do there is a easy access factory oil filter wrench for the bird / model filter ?
K&N filters were linked to a few engine failures by Suzuki and were not covered under warranty here in Houston Tx @ Team Mancuso power sports . Dealer ended up buying a few engines due to using k&n instead of oem on customers bikes . From what I was told by my good friend there its due to pressure relief is to great compared to oem .

You do there is a easy access factory oil filter wrench for the bird / model filter ?
K&N filters were linked to a few engine failures by Suzuki and were not covered under warranty here in Houston Tx @ Team Mancuso power sports . Dealer ended up buying a few engines due to using k&n instead of oem on customers bikes . From what I was told by my good friend there its due to pressure relief is to great compared to oem .

I am not challenging your honesty but I don't believe what they told you. The guys at the Suzuki dealer gave me big grief on the OEM vs aftermarket filters (dealer only sells OEM, but there is a CycleGear next door) and when I called them on it (asked them to explain how it's different) they came clean and told me the dealer gets a big markup on replacement parts so they really push them. Look into an oil filter and it ain't rocket science & engines always run on varying oil pressures, not saying there couldn't be a freak issue but sounds fishy to me (I could also be an idoit, which many of you have been telling me for years). Did they give you any references to check on this? If it's true I have 4 K&N filters left I'll let go for cheap..........

I also use Mobil 1 exclusively , smooth as butter shifts.

That is sooo true......

as-smooth-as-butter.png

I have been using K&N oil filters for years on my bikes with no issues with them at all in fact there casting steel structure IMO is superior to OEM hell I even used car oil filters sometimes on my wing with no issues at all :thumbsup:

I have been using K&N oil filters for years on my bikes with no issues with them at all in fact there casting steel structure IMO is superior to OEM hell I even used car oil filters sometimes on my wing with no issues at all :thumbsup:

K&N doesn't make the filter for the Suzuki, they "sub-contract" it to Hi-Flo. Hi-Flo takes their HF 138 filter and welds a nut on it, magically it becomes a KN 138 with a double price.

Wix filter

Mobil 1 4T

The reason I run Mobil in all my vehicles is we use their lubricants exclusively at my work. Typical time between service is over 40,000 hours, that's not a typo. We have one compressor with over 96,000 hours, the motor has been rebuilt but the compressor itself has never been opened up for repair.

Thanks guys all this was much needed info I always like to hear different things I'm going to go with oem filter for my second change and Mobil 1 full synthetic Saturday

.I've read that some people don't recommend Mobil-1 and K&N Filters due to the low pressure of the Pressure Relief Valve, basically saying that the oil pressure, even at idle, was higher than the rated pressure for the filter, therefore, oil is not being filtered, but bypassing the element.

Copy n paste above if I remember correctly there was a 10 psi swing from oem to K&N when I researched it some

I do my friend / old roommate from 25 years ago had no reason to lie to me . He knows I take the best care of my bikes , and i was buying a K&N for the nut convenience . I did a little research ,and decided my 14,000 dollar bike was worth buying a Suzuki Oil filter tool ( $22 bucks ) and OEM filters . I do wish it was not true as I have usually been happy with K&N products . I have seen what Fram cartridge filters do to ZX11 / ZRX engines so Ill pass on filter gambles .

K&N doesn't make the filter for the Suzuki, they "sub-contract" it to Hi-Flo. Hi-Flo takes their HF 138 filter and welds a nut on it, magically it becomes a KN 138 with a double price.
We get the Hi -Flo for $19 which is cheaper than the Suzuki one

I've got a Gen 1 but have always used Amsoil and a K&N filter. I've toured thru eleven states in all weathers from sea level to 11,000'+ and at 60K+, changing the O&F every 5K, have never had a problem. Doesn't use any oil either. Good products!

Back