What, no comments on MotoGP lately??

Ok, kind of a change directed at you RULES :rulez: guys. While watching the F 1 practice I was wondering :whistle:

1) Why is their no aero aids on a Motogp bike ? Such as wings and air directors ???

2) Why or can the front and rear wheels be used to cool the brakes and generate electrical needs for the bike. Then only requiring a small battery for running while the wheels are not running. Kinda like what F 1 is doing next year in the electric area.

3) Why is the fairing not wide enough to keep your legs behind making less drag ?

4) Why is the exhaust not used as a small add to aero like F 1 to smooth out the exiting air behind the bike (although in F1 it's use is over the rear wing) ?

5) Why no radio transmitions to the rider and rider to the pits ?

I guess my real questions are, why are the bikes basicly the same design (with lots of improvements I know) as they were 10 to 20 years ago. Not much has changed in design, it's just more evolution . And yeah, I know about throttle by wire and electronic forks. Is it the rules, or what ?

Cool lots of good questions! Most of them can be answered here.

Ok, kind of a change directed at you RULES :rulez: guys. While watching the F 1 practice I was wondering :whistle:

1) Why is their no aero aids on a Motogp bike ? Such as wings and air directors ??? See section 2.7.7.8 of the FIM rules. Wings may be fitted provided they are an integral part of the fairing or
seat and do not exceed the width of the fairing or seat or the height of
the handlebars. Any sharp edges must be rounded. Moving
aerodynamic devices are prohibited.

2) Why or can the front and rear wheels be used to cool the brakes and generate electrical needs for the bike. Then only requiring a small battery for running while the wheels are not running. Kinda like what F 1 is doing next year in the electric area. I couldn't really find any specific rules to disallow this but the main reason I would think is unsprung mass. These things put a tremendous amount of force and stress into the suspension and chassis. The less weight these components have to deal with the more efficient they become.

3) Why is the fairing not wide enough to keep your legs behind making less drag ? See section 2.7.7.2. The maximum width of bodywork must not exceed 600mm. The width of the seat or anything to its rear shall not be more than 450mm(exhaust pipes excepted). They spend a fortune on wind tunnel testing these things. But personally I think it ultimately becomes a tradeoff of Aero efficiency VS cornering clearance at maximum lean angle.

4) Why is the exhaust not used as a small add to aero like F 1 to smooth out the exiting air behind the bike (although in F1 it's use is over the rear wing) ? I have no real answer here but the rules are pretty wide open (no pun intended with 130db max!) for Exhausts. See section 2.7.4 and also 2.14.4

5) Why no radio transmitions to the rider and rider to the pits ? Good question I think that the DMG is actually mandating radios next year in at least one of the new classes.

I guess my real questions are, why are the bikes basicly the same design (with lots of improvements I know) as they were 10 to 20 years ago. Not much has changed in design, it's just more evolution . And yeah, I know about throttle by wire and electronic forks. Is it the rules, or what ?
I guess the easy answer is that they work! Though the basic concepts are unchanged for decades the technical refinements are countless. The FIM rules paint a pretty clear picture of what the thing (more or less) has to look like and what materials they can be made of etc. The Rules book is actually an interesting read if your into that sort of reading!

I also think that Spies going to WSB is a positive... master the european tracks, race against the likes of Haga, Corser, Biaggi (all former GP riders) and capitalize. He'll get his shot at MOTOGP sooner than later.
Like Muhummad Ali, JORDAN, GRETSKY - ROSSI IS THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME !
Glad to see Hayden on the Ducati ... needs a fresh start and a new beginning in 09.
On a side note ... I saw Tony Elias in the Indianapolis Airport the day after the race and dayum you talk about a TINY FELLOW. Wow... he may be shorter than Dani P.

No question it will be a good move for Spies to race WSBK next year. Just getting used to racing in a new country each race will be a valuable lesson. But time is the enemy if he wants to go to the big show. If he spends more than two years in WSBK his window will most likely close. WSBK is a playground for the old guys of MotoGP now. Not a bad litmus test for a burgeoning talent to test his mettle against. I look at the MotoGP grid for next year and can't help but think that there are a lot of those cats that will be moving on soon. Guys Like Capirossi and Edwards are in some cases a decade or more older than the guys they are racing against. MotoGP will have no choice but to purge the also ran's and old guys and replace them with young fast guys like Spies and Simoncelli or Bautista. All three of whom would be faster than some of the guys entering or filling grids in MotoGP now. Guys Like Depuniet, Elias, Nakano and Hopper are all field fillers these days. And some of the guys getting into MotoGP are a mystery to me. Takahashi is being brought up to MotoGP by his current team without ever achieving much success in the 250's. Rumors of Mika Kallio and Niccola Canepa moving up to the Alice MotoGP team are testament to the purge already happening. MotoGP should be the cream of the crop and right now it is more of a popularity contest than anything else.

Cool lots of good questions! Most of them can be answered here.

I guess the easy answer is that they work! Though the basic concepts are unchanged for decades the technical refinements are countless. The FIM rules paint a pretty clear picture of what the thing (more or less) has to look like and what materials they can be made of etc. The Rules book is actually an interesting read if your into that sort of reading!

A Big Thanks for your answer :thumbsup: !!!

I guess my answer is that the RULES should be opened up alot, since developement had made leaps and bounds since the 80's !

And still more. Link

Through all of this Pedrosa has been silent. Cowering in the corner hiding behind his wet nurses (Puig) apron strings while Puig takes shots at Nicky! Snivelling little coward!:poke::madfire:

Back