What Is This Sound?

jermzfree

Registered
This vibrating sound has been coming from the top of the engine since I had it serviced to fix a bent valve. It only makes the sound at exactly 2k rpm and not at idle. At first I thought it was a loose fairing screw or something superficial, but definitely coming from the head. The chatty sound all but goes away when the engine is warmed up. I am thinking I have a problem. Can anyone tell me what is the cause of this sound? (BTW 2002 rcc stage 1 oversized injectors and ecu flash.) Thanks!

Yea I know, but they were adjusted when the head was installed. The mechanic is good. Think they were adjusted too wide?

Cam chain slap would be more prominent at lower rpm's and usually goes away around 2k. This sound only happens at 2k and when the engine is cold.

That's cam chain slap all day.

Valves clearance is not the problem as they are all in spec. The sound IS more prominent on the cam chain side. I thought cam chain slap was a lot louder and slower than this noise though. A loose cam chain hits the engine case every revolution making a loud slap! but goes away when a load is applied to the engine. Is there another cam chain problem here maybe? Can the cam teeth be wearing causing a vibration in the chain or something?? Thanks!

That was my understanding, but im just a backyard mechanic. My cbr f3 had a bad adjuster and made a loud slap noise every revolution and went away above idle. I thought that is what cam slap is. If The sound my bike is making is cam slap, is the remedy simply to tighten my after market manual adjuster?? Thanks.

Well sir, after basically you told myself and boosted we were wrong in different wording. Number 1, setting the valves on a bench and then torquing the head on can and usually will affect the clearance. Number 2 valve clearance noise is usually consistent with RPM. Number 3 you need a condition to have a remedy. What is causing the chain noise? Is it stretched? Incorrectly installed? Simply tightening the tensioner could cause a failure without knowing WHY! Maybe it is just that simple? Check it and let us all know what you find sir!

Well sir, after basically you told myself and boosted we were wrong in different wording. What is causing the chain noise? Is it stretched? Incorrectly installed? Simply tightening the tensioner could cause a failure without knowing WHY! Maybe it is just that simple? Check it and let us all know what you find sir!

Not trying to be a know it all. I should have worded that with a "I'm just a back yard mechanic but in my humble opinion ...." or something lol. The chain only has 5k turbo miles on it. With the manual adjuster, I hope it just needs a little tension. But yes I'm not touching it until I better know what the sound is. Luckily I live down the street from the shop that built and tuned the bike. I am going to see what they say. I'll post the results. Thanks!

I have the same noise on my 06. Valve tolerances are good in mine. I get the noise cold or hot. Have you figured out what caused it?

I would make sure the Hydraulic cam chain tensioner is working correct, and Not sticking

I have the same noise on my 06. Valve tolerances are good in mine. I get the noise cold or hot. Have you figured out what caused it?

Yes the noise was coming from slack in the cam chain. A one and half turn of the manual cam chain tensioner and the noise went away. Good to learn something new without damaging anything. Thanks for all the feedback.

Back