What Are Your Tricks To Hold The Crank Consistent When Plastigauging Mains?

Kevin Jones

Registered
I don't have a jig built, motor is on an engine stand. I am all about the impromptu tricks if you have any you can share. Mic'd journals and feel confident about bearing selection. Just need a little faith from the plastigauge.

Plasti guage should only be used when you can't use a bore guage or dial indacator.
It's only so accurate.
I would pay a reputable machine shop if you can't check it yourself, other than plasti guage.
Not to say it doesn't work, but given the time, money, and performance of these engines, I wouldn't want to just get it close. I'de want to know it was right, and the readings on the specs are accurate.
Just my 2 cents.

Rob Bohrs explained a way, going to give it a shot. Actually easier than trying to get the cases together, my dowels are tight. Measuring the inside bore of bearings with mains torqued n subtract journals. Hopefully Suzuki was close with the color coding. Sure spent a lot on these bearings to be off.

Was looking at comp cams dial bore gauge kit but it is only accurate to .001. Far from what I need. Anyone recommend a kit?

Definitely. As soon as I get out of the hole I will be investing. Used plastigage for this one. Not happy with it but I was in the hole for a crank and limited.

That's the question isn't it? are the best builders out there also the best tuners?? That's why its important when doing a build.. if ure not doing it yourself... pick a guy that has standing in the industry... so if a mistake is made.... ure guy STANDS BEHIND his work.... when 50 people have their hands in something.... no one is to blame.

Back