What Are The Guidelines On People Test Driving Your Bike Before You Sell It?

i have done both ways. buying a bike and the seller let me ride it.. i had a certified check made out, he rode it first then came back i rode it.
had a guy i knew thru a friend buy a bike from me and i let him ride it after half the cash was in my hand.

if i don't know you , you ain't riding poop. to much liability.

i also work at a bike shop and we have a NO RIDE sportbike policy, but if you have a motorcycle endorsement then we will let you ride a cruiser. (no permits ect)

With me selling I want cash in hand before a ride with a written agreement. When buying I follow their guidelines but I have never bought a used bike that I couldn't ride first! I will never buy a used bike that someone won't let me ride. I will have cash in hand for them if that is what they want but I have had too many bad experiences test riding bikes.

I have had:
Fi light come on during ride. (2007 gsxr 750)
Felt clutch slip during ride. (2008 gsxr 600)
A bike once completely shut down while riding. (Was an amazing looking 2004 GSXR 600 show bike that won best paint and best in class at one of the largest shows in the area)
One sputtered in mid range. (2006 gsxr 600)

These may have all been easy fixes but they all would have not been noticed if i bought the bike based on looks.

BILL OF SALE – MOTORCYCLE

month/ day /year

For the consideration of $X,000.00 I, Joe Blow, of Anywhere, CA (“Seller”), hereby sell, assign and transfer to Jane Doe, of Nowhere, CA (“Buyer”), the following described motorcycle (“Vehicle”).

Make: XXX
Model: XXX
Year: XXX
VIN: XXXXXXXXXX

Seller states that the mileage reading on the Odometer at time of sale is x,xxx miles. Seller certifies that to the best of Seller’s knowledge, this reading reflects the actual mileage of the Vehicle. Further, the Vehicle’s odometer has not been altered, set back or disconnected while in Seller’s possession, nor does seller have knowledge of anyone else doing so.

Buyer acknowledges the above odometer statement:

_______________________ (Buyer’s Acknowledgement)
Buyer Name

Seller warrants that the Vehicle is free and clear of any liens or encumbrances.

The Vehicle is being transferred on as “AS IS” basis, with not warranties, express or implied, as to the condition of the Vehicle.

Seller certifies the statements made in the Bill of Sale are true, to the best knowledge of the Seller.

TEST RIDE INFORMATION: If Buyer returns vehicle to Seller within 1 hour of purchase, in its original condition (save for additional mileage), Seller will fully refund the sale price and Seller will retain title to the vehicle.

________________________Start time of test ride:

________________________Buyer’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Buyer Name

________________________Seller’s acknowledgement of test ride conditions
Seller Name

Transfer of the Vehicle is effective May 7, 2005.

__________________________ (Seller)
Seller Name
Thanks

That's good Ken, sell it first and they can return it for full refund if there is a problem for a limited amount of time (1-2 hours). This addresses another issue many over look. If the test rider causes a liability issue either to property or bodily harm (including him or herself) you can be on the hook for it. By selling it to them, it's their baby and you clear yourself of liability for it.
my buddy sold one and the guy returned it with a different tank on it. it looked the same but was full of rust and his new fuel pump was gone along with it

Even if they don't drop it you never know how they will ride it jammin gears etc.

Pay to play. That's my motto. I expect full payment even before they take it for a test. I also follow them during the test just to make sure everything is all good. Every time I've done it, people have had no problem at all. If they do, then they don't get to test it..

when i bought my ducati...i had cash on hand and the seller said... "no test rides".. i ended up buying something i hated.

It depends also on what the potential buyer arrives in/on. If he shows up on a comparable bike, like a ZX14 or S1000RR, and seems mature and capable, I can see a test ride in his future if he has the cash to back it up. Someone showing up in a car or on a CBR250? No way. I buy a lot of bikes and I find when I pull up on my Busa there is never a problem letting me have a test ride, even without money having been mentioned.

Back