What About Our Wheel Bearings?

WuzzaCBXRider

Donating Member
Registered
And the head and neck bearings too? Every time I've changed a tire the bearings are looked at, as well as they can be w/o removing them, and they seem to be well greased etc and in over 60,000 miles and eleven years, they're still the originals. When (should) they be replaced?

When they make noise, or feel rough or tight when turned by hand.
There is no magic number they need replaced at.
Depends on the life they have had.
You're posts show you take care of a bike you bought new. So you know what you have.
Obviously you're checking them, and that's really all you can do.
It's yours, and you have a number in your head that you feel they should be replaced at, for your own peace of mind.
If they last that long, change them then.
Otherwise, ride on.

Yes what he said!! On my 01 Busa I changed front and rear at 65,000 and yes you could feel the rough ride and hear (coast engine off) the rubbing of metal... by the way I Am still looking for a rear seat back rest other that Corbin. Yuk !

You can replace the steering head bearings with needle bearings, which I did. Maybe a little tighter than the OEM ball bearings but no big difference. Steering head bearings should last forever I would think but if you are changing them the needles are an upgrade and cost very little over stock. My rear wheel bearings went out on the way to a Busa Bash (posted on here somewhere). I began to feel what felt like a notchyness while rolling the bike, then a shimmy in the rear that got worse until it all came to a crunching, wobbly end. I knew something was wrong so it was only a bit dangerous. Because there are many balls in the bearings, a sudden complete failure is unlikely, but you sound like a rider that checks things and can tell when something is not right. This happened because I was tightening the chain too tight.

After market verses OEM Bearings.
Both will work
They both have a different feel
They both are installed the same, How ever, Never Torque Tapered bearing the same as OEM
Tapered are a tightened by a Feel, verses the OEM Ball bearings are Torqued to 72 FT LBS
Installation is the key, to a safe outcome here!

All good posts! I'm waiting on new double sealed bearings for my dual sport motorcycle at only 5k miles, due to idiot suzuki putting bearings on it that are open on one side, even though is dual sport that they know WILL be crossing deep water, etc. On the hayabusa, I never even thought about bearings, because I don't take it off-roading, not do I do water crossings like the dual sport. I'm in Florida, so road salt corroding things is not an issue.

Your bearings should last a very long time if you grease them with each tire change. One thing to remember is the wheel to axle grease seals should be replaced occasionally. Grit gets under the seal lips and they will eventually wear a groove in the spacers/axle surfaces depending which wheel you are looking at. If the spacer/axle has a groove, the seal will only last a few miles before it no longer performs its function. Then water can get in and that can cause the bearings to fail. Clean everything and I use lots of grease on the seal and bearings each time I swap a tire.

Back