Well, it's time

Revvv

Registered
The bike is a 2003 Hayabusa. I have just under 16,000 miles on the bike. All of the miles on the bike have been worry free, no problems, no real work needed.

When I looked at the front fork after getting home from Myrtle Beach the other day I noticed a dirty film on one of the forks. I assumed right away that I had developed a leak. To be sure I wiped everything clean and rode it again. When I got back home I noticed the same exact film of oil and dirt coating the front fork.
sad.gif

In all honesty, if the dust and dirt didn't stick to the oil I would have never know it was there.

Well, it's time to change the parts before they get worse. How much trouble am I looking at. I have never changed fork seals before, but I'm not thinking it's a complicated job.

It's really very easy and takes minimal tools. Only special tool you'll need is a long 3/8's drive 8mm allen wrench to remove the drain plug from the bottom of the fork.

I first loosen the top clamp so I can break the top cap loose while the fork is secure in the triple clamp. I also break the 8mm plug loose in the bottom fork leg while the fork is secure in the triple clamp. Once that is done, remove the fork, remove the drain plug over a bucket to catch the fork oil, unscrew the top cap and pull the internals out through the top. Now, change the oil and dust seal, put her back together, add oil and you are in business! I can do the job in about 45 minutes from start to finish. Easy squeezy!

Someone mentioned the need to compress the fork spring? Not sure what that is all about?

If I were you, I'd replace dust/oil seals in both forks. If one is leaking it most likely won't be long before the other one follows.

Back