Weird rpm fluctuations

Missmollymi

Registered
So my gen 1 just came back from the shop after them fixing my front shocks leaking...

But it's fluctuating at idle between 1200-1500.. goes up and down..

Any idea why?

So my gen 1 just came back from the shop after them fixing my front shocks leaking...

But it's fluctuating at idle between 1200-1500.. goes up and down..

Any idea why?
So it was running perfectly before taking it in for fork seals...........and that's all that was done to it?

Sounds like a vacuum leak, lift the tank up and look around at all the vacuum hoses to make sure they are still fitted properly and visually inspect them for cracks.

So it was running perfectly before taking it in for fork seals...........and that's all that was done to it?

Sounds like a vacuum leak, lift the tank up and look around at all the vacuum hoses to make sure they are still fitted properly and visually inspect them for cracks.
Wasn't running perfectly.. was busy undoing the last owners craziness lol.. but never fluctuated that much...

Thanks for letting me know vacuum lines are under the tank.. google isn't very informative lol..

So can I rule out the power commander tune?

I yoinked the voodoo poop pipe and put in duels.. sounded much better and the rpms were fluctuating less.. can I rule out exhaust too?

Wasn't running perfectly.. was busy undoing the last owners craziness lol.. but never fluctuated that much...

Thanks for letting me know vacuum lines are under the tank.. google isn't very informative lol..

So can I rule out the power commander tune?

I yoinked the voodoo poop pipe and put in duels.. sounded much better and the rpms were fluctuating less.. can I rule out exhaust too?
Could be the Power Commander as anything added to the bike can cause weird things.....

Perhaps unplug the Power Commander and try that...if the revs go to normal, you have the culprit...your exhaust wouldn't cause this

Sounds to me like the throttle bodies need a good clean,
and then balanced across all 4of them,
injectors need cleaning and spray pattern checked for anything unusual,
fuel pressure needs to be checked that it's within the correct range (3bar or 42psi)
and as already mentioned by @Bumblebee, check for vacuum leaks, a good way to do this is by spraying a mist of brake cleaner over the inlet manifolds/throttle bodies/vacuum hoses while the engine is idling at normal temp.
If the revs go up, you have a vacuum leak.
You can use LPG gas to do the same . . . but it's a little dangerous lol.

Why not drain the tank down to 1/4, toss in a strong mix of injector cleaner, and then go out away from suburbia and give the engine a good blast, keep it up over 8000 for a bit. Easily done in 2nd gear. Then fill it back up when you're done. I personally don't like leaving injector cleaner in strength laying in you tank and hoses.

Back