Water In The Oil?

bluesilver

Registered
Hi, I have a 2010 Busa,
A few weeks ago It had just been into get a set of tires and while it was there i got them to do an oil change.

A few days ago when doing some routine maintenance checks i checked the oil level in the oil site glass.
I noticed that it had a slightly milky look to it.
So drained the oil, changed the filter, The oil came out looking very light brown, so must have some water in it.
I have put new oil in it and flushed it out with some oil flushing liquid, not sure what it was called now, some sort of engine flush
Refilled again with new filter and oil.
In the air box, there is a little spongy type mesh filter that i think goes to the crankcase breather, there was a little bit of water in there but not much.

Any ideas on what might of caused this or what is going on?
Took the bike for a couple of hours run today and the bike today seams to be running fine.

Hi, I have a 2010 Busa,
A few weeks ago It had just been into get a set of tires and while it was there i got them to do an oil change.

A few days ago when doing some routine maintenance checks i checked the oil level in the oil site glass.
I noticed that it had a slightly milky look to it.
So drained the oil, changed the filter, The oil came out looking very light brown, so must have some water in it.
I have put new oil in it and flushed it out with some oil flushing liquid, not sure what it was called now, some sort of engine flush
Refilled again with new filter and oil.
In the air box, there is a little spongy type mesh filter that i think goes to the crankcase breather, there was a little bit of water in there but not much.

Any ideas on what might of caused this or what is going on?
Took the bike for a couple of hours run today and the bike today seams to be running fine.
I noticed something very similar with my bike as well. A few months after its end of the season oil change I was cleaning up the bike and noticed the glass had a milky residue on it. Seeing as it is fresh oil and the engine has not been ran I figured it was possibly from the oil being cold.
Looking forward to seeing what the other members have to say on the subject.

I've seen it on bikes that have been sitting a bit, like over the winter. Keep in mind if you are using ethanol fuel you will get more water as a byproduct of combustion and this is more likely. It is always a little unnerving but has never been a problem for me. Doesn't mean you can't lose a head gasket, but don't jump to the worst conclusion. Run it and see.

I've seen it on bikes that have been sitting a bit, like over the winter. Keep in mind if you are using ethanol fuel you will get more water as a byproduct of combustion and this is more likely. It is always a little unnerving but has never been a problem for me. Doesn't mean you can't lose a head gasket, but don't jump to the worst conclusion. Run it and see.
So dumb question.... Do you think the oil needs to be replaced in the spring before riding or will running it and allowing the oil to heat up allow the water vapor to leave through the vents? Lol maybe me needing a busa fix and going up and starting it every now and then to hear her purr for a bit during the winter is what allowed the oil to possibly get water in it?

You need to fully warm the bike up and run it awhile, not just idling to hear it run in the winter. I wouldn't just start it like that in the winter. If you want to change the oil I would get the bike fully warm first but if the oil doesn't need to be changed I would just ride it for an hour and see how it looks after.

Thanks for the replies,
I use it pretty much most days to and from work, it is only maybe 10 minutes ride if that.
After the 2 hour ride yesterday, the oil in the site glass looks like clean and new still.
Not sure what the little bit of water was doing in the back of the air box though, ( that part of the box when the crankcase breather hose goes up into)
Not too sure what is the best way to check for a bad head gasket either, everything up there looks ok from the outside.
I did have water get into my starter motor and rust all the bearings up though, not sure how, maybe this is part of something?

Something seems amiss, or sounds funny to me. My Gen 2 has never had this issue, and I change my oil only after 5k miles, not due to seasons. Intersting to me but I can't explain. Usually water in the oil means bad things have happened. Let some others weigh in. Oh, any smoke when she is running?

Sounds like it's just condensation as you are not running it long enough for it to get hot ,check the water level ,run it for 3 minutes wait 3 minutes then check oil level as per manual .If all ok take it out and give it a good run I bet it will be fine

1489908981559-1943611331.jpg

Leave bike on side stand lift tank and check water drain cap(cap on sidestand of bike).I had the same symptoms with my bike when I first got it and it's now done over 20000 miles ,due to only running for 5-10 min and forming condensation in winter months

Leave bike on side stand lift tank and check water drain cap(cap on sidestand of bike).I had the same symptoms with my bike when I first got it and it's now done over 20000 miles ,due to only running for 5-10 min and forming condensation in winter months
I'm thinking that's the cause with mine where it only has 800 miles on it and can't seem to resist the urge just to start it up every now and then in the winter just listen to it and get up to running temp. Once spring finally gets it butt here I'll take it out for a good ride and I will let you guys know if the cloudy window goes away.

You are supposed to change the oil before storing it, as old oil can cause minor damage if left sitting too long.

Oil can take on quite a bit of water if left. A good half an hour blast out should cure all ills. You notice this with a clear clutch cover ... There's always condensation on the window and takes a while to go.

Lol the urge is often to much to resist! All it take is for me to go up to my heated shop to work on something... I glance over at it under it's cover. I start to stare admiring it's curves under the fabric and before I know it I'm uncovering it just to see it and see that yes that is my busa and I did not dream I had one. Then temptation just to start it up and let it get up to temp... Gets to be to much. Lol damn this PMS ( parked motorcycle syndrome)!!!!! Alas I will curve it in the future. And if I can't.... Winter's magisty is gonna be disturbed buy the song of a busa! Lol studded tires here I come

Oh and all my bikes get fresh oil for their winter slumber.

If you are taking short trips in cold weather this is not a good thing but it is normal. Condensation. Personally, that is one reason I stop riding in October. Thats\'s about the last opportunity to change oil without getting condensation in the engine. If you take it for a good long run, that should evaporate the water off unless it is like 30-40 degrees, then you might just be stuck with it until summer. The busa has a pretty cool running engine for it's size.

I doubt a little water oil scum can do much harm. There is probably condensation happening elsewhere too. I avoid it. It's no fun riding in the cold anyway. Waste of mileage IMHO.

Back