videos from work. gear swings

used to machine inner cylinder ,, outer cylinder , axels, torsion links, retract arms and side stays for 747 767 737 737x and 777 both er and lr .. i have since moved into programming about a year ago

used to machine inner cylinder ,, outer cylinder , axels, torsion links, retract arms and side stays for 747 767 737 737x and 777 both er and lr .. i have since moved into programming about a year ago
\

Nice. So I don't need to tell you that this stuff is really heavy. :laugh:

\

Nice. So I don't need to tell you that this stuff is really heavy. :laugh:

I know the 777 outer cylinder comes in as a raw forging at around 6600lbs.. our first two operations break the skin and core it. removes just over 4000lbs of material. We use the core for axles. All said and done after heat treat chrome, paint and bushing,, just the outer cylinder weighs in at around 1200lbs.,, im comfortable with big parts,,,much better then tiny stuff.

I know the 777 outer cylinder comes in as a raw forging at around 6600lbs.. our first two operations break the skin and core it. removes just over 4000lbs of material. We use the core for axles. All said and done after heat treat chrome, paint and bushing,, just the outer cylinder weighs in at around 1200lbs.,, im comfortable with big parts,,,much better then tiny stuff.

Yeah no kidding. If you drop the cylinder you know where it is. :laugh: But those little bushings that hit the floor running are a different story. :banghead: :rofl:

I love learning about things that we all take for granted..
Thanks for sharing!:beerchug:

Thanks for all the comments guys. When we do our next change I'll have to see about mounting the GoPro in the wheel well for an up close in your face video. I'll have to make sure it's in the clear. That little plastic box won't stand a chance against 3000psi of hydraulic pressure. :rofl:

So you're the guy who keeps my butt from skidding along the runway on rough landings. Thanks for that! I'm guessing... Delta? :thumbsup:

kool stuff.

that beats sitting behind a desk on a computer all day.

Yes it does.
Here is my desk. :laugh:

IMG_0012a.jpg

JIM thanks,now that was very interesting,its amazing how something that large can get off the ground,and without the help of three eighty ton jacks:laugh:

JIM thanks,now that was very interesting,its amazing how something that large can get off the ground,and without the help of three eighty ton jacks:laugh:
I'm an amateur physics geek and every time I get to watch a plane take off it simply amazes me. Just a simple pressure differential, caused simply by the plane moving forward, powered by an engine that compresses air by blowing it through an orifice alone then ignites it which spins the compressor wheels in the first place. Absolutely amazing.

And all finally figured out, save the turbine engine, by a couple of guys that fixed bicycles for a living. If anyone hasn't done it look into the history of the Wright flyer. They figured out the wings overcoming problems that had plagued other inventors, figured out that a propeller can't just be a fan blade but shaping it like a wing actually generated lift instead of just pushing backwards and achieved 82% efficiency when modern wood props are at 85%. With Charlie Taylor they designed, cast, machined and built their own engine because every other engine was too heavy and didn't make enough power. Oh and the engine was put on paper to running in six(!) weeks.

There also were several others that were going for the first powered flight at the same time. Very interesting to see the approaches others were taking. The Wrights were textbook KISS. Some of the others, well weren't.

Back