Valve lash adjustment cost????????

OB_gsx1300rguy

Registered
Hey just had a valve lash job done and the dealer charged me $282 bucks! I did have new spark plugs put in but damn.I could see if they had to pull the cams and do the shims but all the clearences were good.Did I get screwed or is this normal?

Yes it is normal (here in US) and YES you got screwed!! ... I was quoted the same ammount and I told them where to stick it ... for that price I will do it myself.
Aussie

Screwed ?, Bill the service dept at New England Cycle is where you may want to go.
Where was the sacraficial wallet burning, Enfield.

What was the parts and labor breakdown(Hours)?

Did they also do your recall and bulletins

can't you check the valve lash with a gage to see if there out before you go to the trouble of pulling the cams?
if they charged you that much, it sounds like it was a 4 1/2 to 5 hour job. theres noway it should take that long!

Yes it was Enfield,but the price included 4 sparkplugs and a +5+5+5 on the Yosh and reset my tps.They also did the fuel recall thing and the cam chain tensioner thing.The bike seems a little fatter now for sure and it runs freaking great..the stutter and roughness below 3k is history and no more popping on decelleration.They charged me 4 hours for the valve check ,which didn`t need readjusting! ..which I think was a rip off considering the already had the tank and panels off....but they did take a personal check :) Hey that double bubble screen looks awesome ordering mine Monday

Whoa, they checked the valves and they were in spec and they adjusted WHAT, besides your bank account.

Did they adjust the low side(A) of the map as well? $20 is cheap

Did they replace any gaskets?

Speaking from past experience (I was a M/C mechanic for 12 years, but no longer) w/the Busa they will charge four hours flat rate for a full (stress FULL) tune and service. This should include everything from valve adjust, plugs, oil and filter change, drive chain adjust, down to battery, cable inspection, etc... not to mention all the tidbits - they will have a checklist.

Now it is pretty well known amongst the dealers that the service shop will bill as much as possible whether all the work is done or not (e.g. valves needing adjustment). You all know as well as I do that not having to do the valves cuts almost 2-3 hours right there.

Here's what I do, and no reputable dealer has refused:
Since the valve adjustment is the most expensive and most critical (see done right) have the service manager put on the work order before you sign it that you want the clearances and shim sizes logged before and after the adjustment. When you pick the bike up if they say a valve adjust was done then you have as much proof as reasonably possible, plus you have the shim sizes for future ref if you want to do it yourself or something silly like that (see mental and physical torture)... If they do not provide all that you assume the valve adjustment was not needed and have them adjust the bill accordingly. It's a big pain in the butt the first couple of times but if you keep a stiff upper lip I've found that later visits the dealers will always give you the benifit of the doubt, their best work (and best mechanics too!!), and much better treatment then their normal customers in any department.

Rob

sky powersports in hudson on us 19 charged me 140 if I wanted a full service it would of been 225 that would of included plugs and oil and filter

Back