Turbo

HotFoot

Red Light! Yes!!
Donating Member
Registered
Well Here's the deal put a stage 1 on about 700 miles ago
now oil drips out of the air filter

Called Velocity
and they said to lower the oil level to the L on the sight glass when I First Installed the turbo I did not have to lower the oil level now I Do Hum
also check the crank case vent and the return oil line

I did and all is good

So now I have no oil leak comeing out the air filter BUT Am I taking a chance of hurting the motor running it on Low level
and why all of a sudden with 700 miles theirs a problem

I Did not cough up the extra for the bearing
But I would think that a bushing would last longer than 700 miles

Any Comments
Thanks

This is a problem with turbos that set too low
the bushing also wears out fast when the turbo sets in oil
dont lower the oil level due to it will damage the motor
ive known of a few that end up hurting the motor when they lower the oil level

screw that running low oil somethin dont sound right there if you ask me.

Also just be sure your not putting the bike on a rear stand and leaving the front tire on the ground,it will allow the oil to drain back into the turbo housing.

YES! DON'T LEAVE THE BIKE ON THE REAR STAND OIL WILL BACK FEED INTO THE TURBO. AND LIKE EVERY ONE DON'T RUN THE BIKE WITH THE OIL AT THE LOWER LEVEL. IF YOU DO YOU WILL DAMAGE THE MOTOR. I HAVE A VELOCITY STAGE AND I RUN 3.75 QRTS OF OIL WITH NO PROBLEM.

I'll tell you what I did. I have a stage 2 Velocity 08 and I run the oil in the middle of the glass but I installed a 2 in. low profile pan with a "swing pickup". No oil starving on mine. With as hard as these bikes pull I think all turbo bikes need a "swing pickup".

Thanks Everyone

Here's what Iam going to do

Iam going to bring the oil back up to full
I have had the bike on the rear stand and that could have
caused the problem

So I will run it with the oil on full if it leaks then I will ask
Ken at Volcity to replace the turbo

Also I took the air filter off and checked for bushing wear the shaft
did move but did not touch the housing is that normal

Thanks
Again

If you keep the bike off the rear stand that will probably take care of it,I run mine just a hair below the top full level line on the sight glass.I wouldn't imagine there is any damage to the center section of the turbo with no more miles than you have on it,there would have to be alot of oil constantly draining back into the center section to damage it already,It would have been and still would be smoking like a freight train if the bearing was trashed.And just remember to clean your air filter really well if it has oil residue in it still that will also cause smoke.Hope this helps and it works out for you well.

****, mine always leaked, never really caused a problem though, just makes a mess of my oil filter. Run a Scavage Pump, will solve the problem, most likely.

beerchug.gif

why not instal a check valve in the return line so the oil doesn't roll back into the turbo while it's parked.

I have never dealt with a check valve on a Turbo Busa,but I have worked on a Twin Turbo Corvette where the guy tried using a check valve on each turbo drain and it caused major drainage problems.The drain line on a turbo is large for a reason,you want to get that oil back to the pan as quickly as possible(within reason) and when you reduce the inside diameter of your line with the check valve it just reduces flow,not to mention the force of the spring inside the valve that the oil pressure must overcome and the oil also has to go around the ball in the check valve once again slowing the flow.Im not saying it couldn't work it's just been my experience that when it comes to turbo systems,less is more.I personally would use a scavenge pump as a last resort but I also have a VR Stage 1 kit on my bike and I have never really had a problem.Just my two cents

the drain is gravity feed
no pressure of sorts (or very little)
there wouldnt be enough pressure to open a check valve

Back