Tuning Question

ssgunny

Registered
I stopped by the local shop today and asked if they tuned bikes and they said they did. I told them I had a PCII, TRE, and full exhaust on the bike. They quoted me $138 (2 hours of labor). He said that they link up to someplace off site that does the tuning. That seemed wierd so I asked is it done throughout the entire RPM range and they said yes.

Does this sound right? I have never had anything tuned although when it comes to cars I think they do it in house and you rely on the tuners experience.

Thanks,
Gunny

Last edited:
price is cheap (most are at $250) and sounds like they do not have a dyno...

My guess?

they are going to download a map, put it in the bike and see how it works.. I think you are right to be suspicious of this one.. Get some references to another guy..

I think what they are referring to is Dyno's tuning link software. I believe its just a program that tunes the bike. I'm not positive though. I would take Mr. B's advice and investigate further.

Bingo. You called that one. I just called them back and he said that they don't have a dyno. He said that they were hard on bikes and don't need to be used unless you are racing. lol
price is cheap (most are at $250) and sounds like they do not have a dyno...

My guess?

they are going to download a map, put it in the bike and see how it works.. I think you are right to be suspicious of this one.. Get some references to another guy..

Do not give that guy your money, you could probably get the same map off of the Dyno jet website or better yet this website!

I agree with the above, it doens't sound like they are going to build a custom map, specifically for your bike, just download a map and install it. Heck, even Bogus can do that...

:poke:

I got my 08 Flashed, was going to be that much but I know the guy pretty good. It is not a great tune by any means but gets me by till I can get one. Sounds to me like that is what they are going to do to yours. They can't be putting it on the dyno for that. I would check around and ask lots of questions.

Well, the more you read the more you know and then again the more questions you have.

I think that I will not pursue looking for a local tuning but I am looking in to flashing the ECU myself. With that said I have a 2001 :( and the applications out there only support 2002 and up. This would mean I would need to swap out the ECU and the wiring harness? If I did switch out he ECU is there a "better" year to upgrade to between the 02-07's? I assume Ebay would be the best place to look for this stuff.

I would have called that one like bogus and turbobusa2000. Glad you didn't waste your money.

Thanks. Any write-ups out there on people that have done this process? The more that needs to be done the less likely I will do it.
Are there any write ups on swapping a 2001 ECU out for a 2002-7? The only feedback I have recieved is from smithabusa:

Harness is good, 99 and 00 bikes have to repin a few wires but you are golden,

I think youy have to swap 2 wires for the crank pickup sensor which would take a minute or two

Change the crank rotor and ecu and you are good to go

Last edited:
yeah, agreed with sum of the others. stay away from them. if they think dyno tuning is hard on a bike, they should try to ride one.:poke: every machine is different and needs a little different tweak here and there.

Wow Ill do the same tune for you for half the price and will take me about the same time to eat a snickers bar :rofl: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find someone that DYNO tunes. Dont go to a dealership for anything performance related. Ive heard some horror stories and it ended with a broken machine and them saying we cant cover aftermarket performance upgrades done to the bike but we can install it!!!

Are there any write ups on swapping a 2001 ECU out for a 2002-7? The only feedback I have recieved is from smithabusa:

Harness is good, 99 and 00 bikes have to repin a few wires but you are golden,

I think youy have to swap 2 wires for the crank pickup sensor which would take a minute or two

Change the crank rotor and ecu and you are good to go

Any input?

Back