Trailering question from a new guy.

JrGMan

Registered
My search for a Hayabusa may have ended as I am taking a road trip to look at one, was able to make some room in the garage, life is very good. My question is in regards to trailering the bike home. I have reserved a trailer described as a motorcycle trailer from U-Haul. This setup worked great when I picked up my Yamaha FJR1300. It was up on the center stand and tied down at 4 points using the Canyon Dancer, made it home ok. My concern is that the trailer doesn't have a bike specific chock, just an area where you place the front tire and the fact I have read many horror stories about the 'Busas kickstand. So what do you guys think, wondering how stable the bike would be on the sidestand with 4 tiedowns and up against the front of the trailer so it won't shift forward? ( I know, it doesn't belong on a trailer...) Have a good holiday weekend and thanks in advance!

Well as long as there is something keeping your front wheel from sliding drastically side to side then it will work. As far as tie down get 2 ratchet straps come from your lower triple (underneath the cowlings) ratchet the right side first till the bike stands up. Then ratchet the left side till the kick stands makes good contact on the floor. The kickstand is made to support the weight of your bike so leaning it on it only makes good sense. Your bike is now going nowhere. However I normally take an additional 2 pull synch type straps and go from the upper triple (not the bars) and grab 2 points (right and left) as straight out to the sides of the bike as possible just to help eliminate the left and right wobble from the bike. If you’re really nervous grab to more pull type straps and go from the grab bar to the floor compressing your rear shock as well. I have traveled many thousands of miles like this with many types of bikes and I have yet to have a problem. The only thing I will caution you on, If you are repeatedly trailering any bike it will lead to premature fork seal failure. Premature being a year or 2 earlier than you would have had to anyway. But once in a while trailering you’re good to go. If the Uhaul has nothing to stop the wheel from moving back and forth C-clamps and 2X4's and a little ingenuity can go a long way.

I brought mine home on a U-haul that was not made for a bike and it worked fine. If the uhaul you get has the "V" at the front you will be better off than I was. I used a canyon dancer and 2 ties in the back and it was good. Make sure the canyon dancer does not rub on the fairing, put the strap on top of the grips, and have the straps pulling forward.

Good luck, be careful, take it slow, check the straps every now and then.
beerchug.gif

I wouldn't risk it. Buy some sort of bike chock (Baxley LA, Bike Grab, etc.), and trailer in confidence...

Speedadicts method works great. I did that with 2 busas on a 6X10 trailer from N/W Illinois to the bash and back with no problems.

i never tie my bike down on the kickstand but i make sure that the kickstand is down. i use a locking wheel chock and strap the bike down in an upright position. the conyon dancer is a must but as stated above, make sure it does not rub ur fairings. i use a microfiber polishing sponge wrapped around the canyon dancer.

here is a pic of the busa tied down on my trailer...

IMG_0056.JPG

(ozzy04 @ May 24 2007,15:57) i never tie my bike down on the kickstand but i make sure that the kickstand is down. i use a locking wheel chock and strap the bike down in an upright position. the conyon dancer is a must but as stated above, make sure it does not rub ur fairings. i use a microfiber polishing sponge wrapped around the canyon dancer.

How far do you pull the bike down with the handlebar harness? I was under the impression you are not supposed to tie off on the bars.

Thanks!

always use the bars... you tighten the straps until the forks start to compress and that should be good enough... thats the way i always trailered mine... canyon dancer with 3 cargo straps.

No worries, i rented the Uhaul motorcycle trailer to take my bike for PCIII mapping. It worked perfectly, I just used a canyon dancer and 2 straps one on each bar. The bike would not budge.. I did make sure not to over compress the front forks as well. Rest assured it WILL hold..

(busa_bill @ May 24 2007,21:50)
(ozzy04 @ May 24 2007,15:57) i never tie my bike down on the kickstand but i make sure that the kickstand is down.  i use a locking wheel chock and strap the bike down in an upright position.  the conyon dancer is a must but as stated above, make sure it does not rub ur fairings.  i use a microfiber polishing sponge wrapped around the canyon dancer.  

How far do you pull the bike down with the handlebar harness? I was under the impression you are not supposed to tie off on the bars.

Thanks!
u just wanna compress the forks far enough so the bike is pulled forward into the chock and stable. always use the bars. u want ur tie down points to be pretty wide, something like 28inches from center i believe.

I trailered my bike from San Francisco to Los Angeles almost 500 miles
in a 10' budget rental truck. Had to put a piece of wood so the front
fender wouldn't hit the wall. The bike never moved the whole way home.
beerchug.gif

If you have a rear stand that helps keep it stable - no rocking. I have been using the rear stand then 4 ratchet straps w/ canyon dancer. Never moves.

Back