Touring Tires

Mmmm, I must be doing something wrong then...for the PR4s struggle to get past 12 k. Even the PR3s, on my previous bike never got past 15 k before being down to the wear bars.
Many variables get taken into account there. Body weight load factor tire pressure. I'm running a 180 back end for better /faster in and out of corners. If your local you should know many of the crew I deal with, Coleman's, martin (drury performance )Mike old formally of DPC and Cycletreads.

Metzeler Roadtec 01, basically feels and rides the same as PR4.

Good to know Caspernz

Last edited:
Metzeler Roadtec 01, basically feels and rides the same as PR4.

Good to know Caspernz

No they do not . I ran PR4 rear 190/55/17 Pilot power 3 2ct front as a combo for 5650 miles . Then bought new Metzeler Road tech 01's . First they are heavier than PR4 rear by 8 ounces plus . Turn in was slower , rear tread design tended to follow road groves . Ran same pressure 42 rear 40 front in both sets . After 800 miles on Road techs in all weather conditions I removed them , and sold them to a buddy for his FJR1300 for $200 bucks mounted/balanced by me . Went back to Power front / PR4 rear . Back to what I expect .

I will say Metzeler 's looked nice , they sent a rebate $50 gift card with in 4 weeks , and asked for a review . My FJR friend simply loves them .

What I can tell you about my personal experience is I'm very intune with my bike , and notice micro changes that many do not so if it takes me backwards a step then it comes off . There is no doubt the Roadtechs are a good tire , but they are not for me .

No they do not . I ran PR4 rear 190/55/17 Pilot power 3 2ct front as a combo for 5650 miles . Then bought new Metzeler Road tech 01's . First they are heavier than PR4 rear by 8 ounces plus . Turn in was slower , rear tread design tended to follow road groves . Ran same pressure 42 rear 40 front in both sets . After 800 miles on Road techs in all weather conditions I removed them , and sold them to a buddy for his FJR1300 for $200 bucks mounted/balanced by me . Went back to Power front / PR4 rear . Back to what I expect .

I will say Metzeler 's looked nice , they sent a rebate $50 gift card with in 4 weeks , and asked for a review . My FJR friend simply loves them .

What I can tell you about my personal experience is I'm very intune with my bike , and notice micro changes that many do not so if it takes me backwards a step then it comes off . There is no doubt the Roadtechs are a good tire , but they are not for me .

Fair enough mate, nice of you to sell and fit for 200 bucks :)

Mitchies are my first preference but i will try others when tech moves on...problem is tech moves quick in the tyre world these days !

Fair call. In my riding group two of the lads went from PR4 to Roadtec 01, including my instructor, and after a couple of thousand clicks the verdict was the 01 feels exactly like PR4. Go figure... Personally I don't like the look of the Roadtec 01, but I'm sitting on the fence about trying a pair. Will be interesting to see if their verdict stays the same when the Roadtec 01s they're running now come to end of life.

Back