Touring Tires

36psi on the front 38psi in the rear regarding car tyres just like mc tyres they are not all the same some wear out faster than others ect ect I know this because I use a car tyre on my wing :thumbsup:

I have been 42/42 for the past 70k miles with no issues, which is the recommended tire pressure. If this tire pressure is reducing tire life I would like to learn how o_O

I have been 42/42 for the past 70k miles with no issues, which is the recommended tire pressure. If this tire pressure is reducing tire life I would like to learn how o_O

I never said it reduced tire life.
I said asking for trouble, as in it's dangerous.
42 psi is the rear setting in the owners manual...the front is 36 psi.
And 42psi IS too much for the rear.
The contact patch, aka your grip, is much smaller.
If you're checking the tires cold at 42 psi, they're gonna be 45-46psi+ after 20 minutes, unless it's very cold outside.
Keep in mind, 42 psi is the MAX.
Your ride, your life.
No way would I have 42psi in a front tire, or the rear:beerchug:

42 is the max cold pressure and should be only used when bike is loaded to max. Meaning total added weight is at max gvwr. No different than a car. Only max psi when you are loading down for a trip.

Everyone has a different opinion.
I travel professionally (people pay me to ride) and I use the Avon Storm 3D X-M Sport Touring & get them from Rocky Mountain Moto in CO.
What's unusual about this tire is the tread is thicker than a standard tire. We've measured it was a tread gauge and just more tire to burn off.

20664404734_7d2bc92493_c.jpg

Everyone has a different opinion.
I travel professionally (people pay me to ride) and I use the Avon Storm 3D X-M Sport Touring & get them from Rocky Mountain Moto in CO.
What's unusual about this tire is the tread is thicker than a standard tire. We've measured it was a tread gauge and just more tire to burn off.

View attachment 1570333
True bro. Many variables must need to be looked at when deciding optimum tyre pressure. When talking to newbies I always say check pressure when tyres cold as when it's hot the pressure is often at least 3psi more. We run here at least between 39&41 psi on rear as we are a more cooler climate. Taking into account climate, load settings and riders mass /style of riding goes into the equation. I deal with a guy called Mike Old whose the number 1 tyre guru with over 41 years experience in tyres/settings and has never put me crook

42 is the max cold pressure and should be only used when bike is loaded to max. Meaning total added weight is at max gvwr. No different than a car. Only max psi when you are loading down for a trip.

If true Suzuki does not specify MAX cold pressure on the swing arm sticker.

If 42/42 is assumed to be the max cold pressure, I wish they'd give a minimum as well.
I think that because every climate condition needs to be taken into account, we live in a more tepid climate (both extremes) so here it appears that 36 back appears the norm , I run mine at 40psi (weight +tyre compound +climate)

I think that because every climate condition needs to be taken into account, we live in a more tepid climate (both extremes) so here it appears that 36 back appears the norm , I run mine at 40psi (weight +tyre compound +climate)
My last set of pilot road 4s I got 31000kms out of them

Does anybody know a way to get more than 5k on a rear tire while touring?

Michelin Pilot Road 4. Should get you 10000 kilometres without much trouble. Or Metzeler Roadtec 01, basically feels and rides the same as PR4.

Group Question. What Pressures do you guys run on your "Touring Tires" and what is your typical load-out (weight wise).

42/42 and ~325# (me, my gear and whatever luggage I might be toting).

My touring tyre of choice is PR4, run 39/39 and I put maybe 280 pounds (me, my gear and luggage) onboard when cruising on distance trips.

Michelin Pilot Road 4. Should get you 10000 kilometres without much trouble. Or Metzeler Roadtec 01, basically feels and rides the same as PR4.

My touring tyre of choice is PR4, run 39/39 and I put maybe 280 pounds (me, my gear and luggage) onboard when cruising on distance trips.
About time another Aucklander appeared bro. I've got PR4 on the rear and a PR3 on the front , bikes just ticked over 18000ks and tyres put on when 1st bought and now half worn.

About time another Aucklander appeared bro. I've got PR4 on the rear and a PR3 on the front , bikes just ticked over 18000ks and tyres put on when 1st bought and now half worn.

Haha, there's been a few over the years. Btw, you won't get 20 odd thousand clicks out of any tyre on a Busa I'm guessing... Just put on a set of Pilot Power 3s for the summer. My one is coming up to 30 k shortly, so it's almost run in.

Haha, there's been a few over the years. Btw, you won't get 20 odd thousand clicks out of any tyre on a Busa I'm guessing... Just put on a set of Pilot Power 3s for the summer. My one is coming up to 30 k shortly, so it's almost run in.
You really wanna make a wager? This is my 3rd gen 2 busa from New and my fourth overall. Have been getting round 25000ks per set on all. I'm usually at Gloria Jean coffee by skytower if you wanna see . Will be there round 7 this evening

I have 20000ks on my tires now and will easilyget another 5 out of them before I get a new set.

You really wanna make a wager? This is my 3rd gen 2 busa from New and my fourth overall. Have been getting round 25000ks per set on all. I'm usually at Gloria Jean coffee by skytower if you wanna see . Will be there round 7 this evening

Mmmm, I must be doing something wrong then...for the PR4s struggle to get past 12 k. Even the PR3s, on my previous bike never got past 15 k before being down to the wear bars.

Back