Top Speed By Bhp ? Any Ideas

turbohayabusa

Registered
Any one with better maths and knowledge than me that could give me an idea on top speed for my Turbo Busa.

She's running 377bhp

just an idea, i know gearing would need to be changed.

thanks

Just try with stock gearing first and go from there. No point in guessing if you don't have the bawlz to with stock gearing eeh?

I used to have a link on my old computer that had top speed related to tire size and sprocket size. Like in theory kind of thing. In real life just look at some of those videos of lsr events with busa's with your hp. . which is amazing btw. they were going in the 220+ mph range but I couldnt guess at the sprockets. Maybe someone can put a link up with that site if anyone knows what im talking about. My pc crashed and I lost a lot of links Im sorry to say

What venue
Salt, Blacktop, Hi altitude /low
I ran 250 on salt with about 400 and thats all we could put down on the day , but another bike limited to near that level went 237 at Colorado

its a stock looking bike, just wondering what sort of top speed a 377hp busa could get to.
i understand there are lots of variables, just a ruff idea.

In theory... Change in Speed = Square root of the change in horsepower X Original Top Speed. So, IN THEORY, Original top speed = 190 mph; Original HP = 160. 377/160=2.35625. The square root of 2.35625=1.535. So 190 mph X 1.535= 291.7 mph. Problems abound in this analysis. Using the square root is an approximation; faster speeds reduce efficiency, etc.

In theory... Change in Speed = Square root of the change in horsepower X Original Top Speed. So, IN THEORY, Original top speed = 190 mph; Original HP = 160. 377/160=2.35625. The square root of 2.35625=1.535. So 190 mph X 1.535= 291.7 mph. Problems abound in this analysis. Using the square root is an approximation; faster speeds reduce efficiency, etc.

ummm no. not even close!

Gen1 stock, stock gearing is 17/40. Top speed is limited to 194mph with those sprockets.
Gen2 stock, stock gearing is 18/43. Top speed is limited to 197mph with those sprockets.
Those top speeds are what is possible(with 186mph/300kpm limiter removed), not nesacerily what the bike will actually do.
As said, too many variables, rider size and weight, temperature, humidity, wind, elevation, ect.
A gen2 also has around 20hp more than a gen1, stock vs stock.
The reason the above equation doesn't work is, that the faster you go the harder it is to continue to go faster.
You are limited by aerodynamics, and it takes alot of hp to continue to overcome that. Until you eventually reach your limit.
I understand that the original question was probably looking for more of a guesstimate. So with 377hp, a rider that tucks into the bike well, perfect weather, near sea level, all the planets in alignment, and tall enough gearing.
Lets call it 225-235mph?
Now we can let the LSR guys argue over that, lol.

A better estimation is probably the square root of the increase in persent if you want to use it to multiply the original top speed (377-160)/160 = 1.365 square root of 1.365 = 1.1646 which would give a top speed of about 221 mph.
Do this with Big CCs 904 hp monster and you would get about 410 mph, so it is still way off for a big increase. But with a really long straight you could see some silly numbers :-)

Somewhere between 0-240 would be my guess. Josh from memory you were making 380, but you weighed 185 and ran 220. Was that all it had ?

its a stock looking bike, just wondering what sort of top speed a 377hp busa could get to.
i understand there are lots of variables, just a ruff idea.

Drop it out of an airplane and it may go 300mph....

...still to many variables! What gearing and rider?

It could be 186mph or 240+, nothing is for sure racing these things!

Back