Top clamp removal

sixpack577

Top Gun
Donating Member
Registered
I cannot get my top clamp to come off!:banghead:
I've taken off many of them over the years, but never a Busa, yet it's really no different.
I have the handlebar mount off, and the bolts that clamp the top of each fork are out.
The igniton switch bolts are also out and the clamp is loose around the fork tubes.
It is only stuck on the threads on the steering head bolt.
I've tried tapping with a punch from underneath, and gently prying against the dust seal, which I do not want to damage.
I even tried bolting the handlebars back on and pulling straight up, but no luck.
My next step would be removing the nose and the front wheel and forks, then using a dead blow hammer to try and tap up on the upper clamp. That still doesn't leave much room to swing(between the upper and lower clamp).
This one just doesn't want to give up!
Anyone else had similiar problems or have any advice? I'm not ready to heat it yet either...yet. It's another one of those quick jobs that's turned into hours because something is stuck!:banghead:
Thanks.

I am assuming you are using your new lift. If you can have someone wiggle the front wheel back and forth while you pull up on the top clamp.

The forks are binding on the top clamp.

That's what I thought, but I've removed several with the forks still in. The clamp will also rock side to side ever so slightly.
I don't doubt that the forks will hinder it's removal, but it seems to stuck on the steering bolt.
I guess I'll have to drop the forks out.
Thanks

Dumb question. You did remove the four bolts that are holding down the handle bar mount/top triple? Underneath the triple is another clamp. I am assuming the clamp underneath is giving you trouble? Depending on how the front wheel is supported, the forks are whats giving you trouble.

I am assuming you are using your new lift. If you can have someone wiggle the front wheel back and forth while you pull up on the top clamp.

I'll try that tommorrow before I take the forks out. Thanks again:beerchug:

Is this the clamp giving you a hardtime?

e6f3e7f7.jpg

Dumb question. You did remove the four bolts that are holding down the handle bar mount/top triple? Underneath the triple is another clamp. I am assuming the clamp underneath is giving you trouble? Depending on how the front wheel is supported, the forks are whats giving you trouble.

:laugh:Yep, handlebar mount and 4 bolts are off, not a dumb question though. I've done some of those stupid in your face mistakes over the years:laugh:

Just get the weight off the front end, by jacking the bike up just a little.

No luck. Up on stand, back on floor, up/down, back and forth. Pry, pull, hammer. This thing refuses to let go!
I've never seen one this stuborn.
Tommorrow's a new day, enough of this bike for today.
Thanks BigE.:beerchug:

Hi all , does anyone know of where I can get detailed instructions on how to replace the top triple clamp on a 2008 busa. thanks

No luck. Up on stand, back on floor, up/down, back and forth. Pry, pull, hammer. This thing refuses to let go!
I've never seen one this stuborn.
Tommorrow's a new day, enough of this bike for today.
Thanks BigE.:beerchug:
I am having the exact same problem with my top clamp it won't come off. Did you figure out a way to get it to come off ? I need to do what ever it was that got yours to come off. Thank you.

I am having the exact same problem with my top clamp it won't come off. Did you figure out a way to get it to come off ? I need to do what ever it was that got yours to come off. Thank you.
I used some penetrating bolt lubricant and let it sit five minutes and unbelievably it worked. Stuff was called Blaster prograde multipurpose lubricant Hope this helps some one else.

Back