TomTom Rider 2nd series cradle/dock/shoe issues

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
This might get long so my apologies in advance. This probably won't be relevant to anyone now but after 2 days of searching relentlessly, I would have loved to have this information, so here it is for the next person that needs it....

I recently purchased a TomTom Rider 2 GPS on Fleabay for $250. Normally the unit goes for anywhere from $450 - $550. It's used but in like new condition with the exception that it did not come with the cradle. The cradle or dock or "shoe" as TomTom calls it can be mounted to most mounting systems and holds the GPS unit.

cradle.jpg

Without this cradle, the GPS can't be used on the busa.

Here's a pic of it on a triumph
triumph1.jpg

The cradle is made of plastic and I read lots of reports of it breaking or cracking and the GPS being destroyed as it hit the ground.

Regardless, I needed one. After 2 days of fruitless internet surfing I broke down and called TomTom directly. The first service rep I spoke to told me, "Oh, Ram Mount makes those for us, call them" Oooook.

I called Ram Mount and they said, "what was she on? we don't make that" Ok, thx.

So I call a few TomTom distributors. Oh, yeah, we don't stock those, call TomTom. I'm getting dizzy now.

I call TomTom back and got a different rep.
him: "Oh yeah, the 'shoe' is what you want."
me: "yeah, sure, I have a credit card, let's do this"
him: "can't. We don't sell them"
me: "ummmm, sure you do. You put them in a box, go open a box and get me one"
him: "Sorry, you need to buy a new unit"
me: "<censored>"
him: "You can complain on the TomTom forums, maybe they can help you"
me: "<censored again>"
him: "Is your unit in warranty?"
me: "I don't know. It's at home and I don't have the serial #"
him: "Oh, if it's under warranty I can send another shoe out today"
me: "now we're getting somewhere, ship it!"
him: "can't do it without verifying it's under warranty"
me: "arrrrghhhhhhhhhhh"
(since I purchased on fleabay, I just know it's not under any kind of warranty)

To make a long story not as long, they have the part but will not sell them. They will only replace broken ones that are under warranty.

After getting more angry than I've ever been I took this newfound knowledge of a "shoe" and was able to find this beauty.

8600880.jpg

It's made by a company that makes BMW parts and this one is aluminum and holds the unit more securely. I've already placed the order on an in-stock part. Woohooo!
The URL for the part directly is: Wunderlich America: Extreme Bracket

I will never buy another TomTom product and I will do my best to make sure nobody else does either. Their product is good (I also have a TomTom One) but their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered. I am also writing a letter to their CEO to let them know how dissatisfied I am.

Man that sucks! I was just about to but one on ebay myself like two days ago... I read some reviews on tomtom and bought a zumo 550 a hour ago...! Can't wait...:thumbsup:

I have the TomTom Rider and I have had excellent service. In fact I had my TomTom unit fly out of the "cradle or dock or "shoe"" at about MPH and go bouncing down the road. I stopped and picked it up and it was beat up but worked fine. Nevertheless I complained to TomTom and the sent me a teather for the cradle and replaced my Rider with a new one. I know they will sell additional mounting sets because I have purchased one for my car, but they may not send a specific part. I am sorry you have a bad experience but don't judge the whole company by one or two bad service reps. Cheers :beerchug:

CrazyNOTRT is right. But I still call it stupid.

If I select UK as the area I can purchase a "shoe" but not if I select US, which is where I happen to live. The price converts to about the same amount as the aluminum version I bought. Interestingly enough, this UK version is completely different and looks much better engineered than what they sell in the US.

Link is here for those that ever need one.

More than the reps not being efficient I'm upset that the company will only support products within warranty. If you are out of warranty they don't think you are worth their time and try to get you to purchase another new product.

UPDATE: Their UK site will only ship to UK addresses. So I cannot order this part from them.

Last edited:
Crazy, sell things=make money right? Some things I just don't understand but, who am I???..................................???

This sucks. You can try buying some aluminum from like Lowes or so and fabricate one yourself. Maybe you can design a better mount on your own. Just a thought. Sorry for your inconvenience bro.

PandaNin,

I went to Wunderlich America with the part number you gave. It says it is for the Tom Tom Rider 1. Will this work with the rider 2? They gave another part number for that, but also said you need the cradle for it to work properly. Like you I purchased one off of ebay not realizing that the cradle would be so hard to come by.

Thanks,
keary

Tom Tom has THE WORST - I repeat - WORST - crappy - poopy - yukky - die in a big pile of crap you weasel - customer service. I have a TomTom Rider 2 and it doesn't work!!!! The trip statistics just plan old don't work. The top speed is who knows what but it ain't top speed. the rest of the stats are just useless garbage. I just went from home to Toronto. It is 100kmh all the way - all the way on 4 lanes - Tom Tom expected arrival time was 3 hours and 10 minutes - its a 216km trip!!! Do the math on that.

I talked to TomTom customer (dis)service for over a year and did all the crappy things they asked and was patient and they sent me a brand new unit eventually and IT was identical to the first one and they passed it to TomTom research division and blah blah blah blah blah..

They SUCK!!!! Bite me!!!

whooo!!!
Rant off.

I wouldn't recommend this product!:laugh:

Last edited:
Back