Tires and dyno tuning

Kevin Jones

Registered
I couldn't find a thread about this and it might not be significant but logic tells me it might. Both tunes on my busa, neither guy even took a look at that or asked me psi, or anything. I understand, a lot of stuff is going on, maybe overlooked. I have a conti motion at 36 psi. That thing wouldn't hook up worth a flip when it was a stock bike when I bought it. Now its pretty much useless except commuting, does great for highway and rain but takes 3 gears to get a grab on a hard pull with the turbo now. Understandable, that tire is a cheap commuter tire (and I am thankful for it getting me through a couple harsh storms) and now that it is toast, I will replace. But can tires significantly affect dyno readings? As tuners, what do you recommend?

The answer to that is yes, tires can affect dyno readings. The picture below was from a few years ago. Gained 30whp by taking the hook up off, and puting on a P1.

I don't get the what your getting at overall. Are you looking for a tire that won't mess with your dyno readings, or one that hooks?

I'd suggest an 003 shinko. Plenty soft to hold the power, but not soft enough that it eats up power and doesn't wear fast. I used to run those all the time on my swb stage one Busa. It would wheelie well before spinning. I think a hook up in your case would be too soft. An 003 is cheaper too!

image.jpg

You answered my question and your advice is always the win. Shinko 003 it is. I also wanted to know the accuracy of my tunes both past and future and how to get the best out of them. It definitely is something that guys like me who do not know so much should think about when going to get a tune. A good tuner may tell a newb like me these ins and out or maybe they aren't that big a deal or they might not think about it or assume the rider knows more than they do, or maybe not. Maybe it is something we should learn as we go. Maybe it isn't "your clutch is slipping" adding on another chunk of change at 60% throttle during tuning but more than that. I don't know. But you answered my question and I thank you again Rob.

To further back this up I just tuned a 1590cc 14.5.1cr gen 1. My dyno is stingy as hell, but it only ended up making 187hp with a shinko hook up. Should of been around 210hp at least with a regular street tire.

Back