Tire Warmers ??

BUSA_CHeMiST

Donating Member
Registered
I am in the market for a good set of tire warmers and am wondering if these are any good? I really don't have the cheese to be dropping $400+ on some good Chicken Hawk warmers or anything...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOODCRAFT-DIGITAL-TIRE-BAKER-TIRE-WARMER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ020QQitemZ30
0236094802QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;"> Tire Warmer Clicky Link</a>

I mean, they are woodcraft, seem like they are good, just never even done any research on tire warmers, so im open to any and all suggestions!

Chemist...

Hmm, im lookin at it....clicky link said unavailable for me too...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WOODCRAFT-DIGITAL-TIRE-BAKER-TIRE-WARMER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34284QQihZ020QQitemZ30
0236094802QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" onclick="window.open(this.href,'_blank');return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....meZWDVW</a>

Ok, thats not making alot of sense.

Its under the WoodCraft tire baker under a search for "Tire Warmers" on eBay.

NOt sure why the link is not working, i'm C&P right from URL line

Since I'm right at the "looking at viability of tire warmers" point too, why do you think you need them? Doyle

At the track days here, we are spending sometimes up to 40 min off the track, bikes in a covered paddock area. With only 20 min sessions, I just wanted to use them so I dont have to get out there and burn a lap or two warmin them back up. Would like to have that peace of mind knowing that they are already temp ready when its time to go.

Yes texas is hot, but im also trying to preserve the life of the tire as well, not having to go thru as many heating and cooling cycles.

At the track days here, we are spending sometimes up to 40 min off the track, bikes in a covered paddock area.  With only 20 min sessions, I just wanted to use them so I dont have to get out there and burn a lap or two warmin them back up.  Would like to have that peace of mind knowing that they are already temp ready when its time to go.

Yes texas is hot, but im also trying to preserve the life of the tire as well, not having to go thru as many heating and cooling cycles.
I agree, our sessions are the same. I dont go back out on cold tires riding hard. 1 or 2 laps...

Jerry don't use tire warmers with street tires. They are designed to be used w/ race tires only. Michelin Pilot Race or the Michelin slicks I run.

Jerry don't use tire warmers with street tires. They are designed to be used w/ race tires only. Michelin Pilot Race or the Michelin slicks I run.
Exactly, and last week at my track day, I asked the amazing suspension guy what he thought....he said, "feel your tires right off the track, leave the bike in the sun until your next session comes up, then feel them again". I did that and was amazed at how hot they were just before going back on the track. He also said that street tires (pilot powers, diablos, qualifyers, etc.) simply don't need it in any weather above 70 degrees. This is an important conversation for those of us that take full throttle 120 mph sweepers! Doyle

Exactly, and last week at my track day, I asked the amazing suspension guy what he thought....he said, "feel your tires right off the track, leave the bike in the sun until your next session comes up, then feel them again". I did that and was amazed at how hot they were just before going back on the track. He also said that street tires (pilot powers, diablos, qualifyers, etc.) simply don't need it in any weather above 70 degrees.   This is an important conversation for those of us that take full throttle 120 mph sweepers!      Doyle
That is exactly what we were told as well Doyle. Michael I think jerry is running race tires that is why he is looking at tire warmers. Me I do not mind taking the first lap to warm the tires it is a trackday and not a race so I am there just to enjoy the sport and have a good time.

Yeah, i'm runnin the Battlax 002 racing tires. I kept feeling them after my session and right before my next session and I could definately tell they weree cooling down.

Plus i will continue with track days as long as I can, and will eventually have a bike dedicated for the track (not a Busa) so thats why i figured I would go ahead and pick some up.

Thanks for the input guys! Didn't know that bit of info bout the street tires. Learn somethin new everyday!
beerchug.gif

I have the Chicken Hawk standards. Great warmer! Cons: non adjustable so you bake your tire at 170 degrees F!

If I could do it all over again, get the Woodcraft! They should have 2 temparature settings: "Warm" 120-130 degrees F; and "Hot" 170-180 degrees F. Use warm while bike is in the pits. use HOT 15 minutes before you hit the track.

Another note and this was already mentioned: DO NOT USE WARMERS WITH STREET TIRES, i.e. Dunlop Qualifiers, Pilot Powers, 2CT's, 002RS. Street tires are meant to heat cycle and heat up quickly because of the extra silica in the rubber. you might exceed the optimal temp ranges and get the tire greasy-almost as dangerous as a cold tire if you're not used to sliding the rear.

use them on: Dunlop D211GP NTECS, Power RACE PRC, Bridgestone BT002 (not RS) and BT003's, Pirelli Diablo Corsa (the roadrace supersport version tires only available to trackday guys and racers).

Yeah, i'm runnin the Battlax 002 racing tires.
did you get those through the retailers or track vendors? They don't sell the race versions at retailers, only the 002RS. If it says "racing street" on the sidewall, you've got an 002RS, and you don't need warmers for it.

If you've got the 002 full race compound, then you need warmers. However, the 002's are discontinued as of last month as it is replaced by the new BT003 (also only available thru trackvendors or race outlets like Cycle Mall ).

Yeah, i'm runnin the Battlax 002 racing tires.
did you get those through the retailers or track vendors? They don't sell the race versions at retailers, only the 002RS. If it says "racing street" on the sidewall, you've got an 002RS, and you don't need warmers for it.

If you've got the 002 full race compound, then you need warmers. However, the 002's are discontinued as of last month as it is replaced by the new BT003 (also only available thru trackvendors or race outlets like Cycle Mall ).
Hey gtrpimp, I have some brand new Pirelli Diablos sitting in my garage, standard Pilot Powers on the Busa now...do you know if I swapped them would that be an improvement or just more of the same ?(greasy when hot on track). Sorry for thread jack....just trying to save some $ prior to Reno-Fernley! Doyle

Diablos and Powers are both street tires, so I doubt there'll be an improvement. But you never know until you try them.

Tire warmers are good for keeping race tires from heat cycling. I'm just not sure I want to go through all the extra effort...
tounge.gif

Hey Charlesbusa, are you part of the Aug 9-10 Reno Fernley track day contingent? Doyle

Tire warmers are good for keeping race tires from heat cycling.  I'm just not sure I want to go through all the extra effort...  
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Dont forget, they're also good for being up to temp on the 1st laps, so you don't lose precious tracktime. It's 100% from there.

and....

it's good insurance knowing your race compounds are warm, instead of doing 3 "easy" laps and then hoping you're golden.

Back