tips on un-stretching and un-lowering a Gen1

Mikester

Registered
While the rear wheel is off, give it all a good cleaning.

Remove the belly pan cover and carefully jack on the bracket to unload the suspension. Stock bones take some fine tuning. I had to jack up a bit more to get them on.

As I was reverting my 06 back to stock, I discovered that I needed to get chain adjuster blocks and a stock rear torque arm. Fortunately for me (not for the donors) there are a few Busas at salvage shops. These aren't big wear and tear parts, and you can see are in great condition - so I had no hesitation in using these parts.

Had to repair a crack in the underside of the undertail. With the 6" extension, the rear wheel sits further back - out of it's normal vertical travel zone, and the previous owner had the rear wheel hit the tail when carrying a passenger. Nothing major, but worth fixing while I was in there.

I probably could have used the aftermarket lowering arms (dog bones) on the top hole - which is close to the factory setting, but the stock arms were available and have more meat around the holes.

Also, once you shorten the bike back to stock, your rear brake cable will be roughly 6" too long. It still works fine. I'll replace that at some point this summer.

And obviously if you're going the other way (from stock to stretched), you'll need a longer rear brake cable and a long rear torque arm.

Last edited by a moderator:
While you are in there you might consider a 1" rise on the dog bones. works magic on the handling.

Thanks for the tip - I've heard about raising the rear 1" - might try that next season. Riding season isn't long in Canada, so that could be a winter project. :)

You might consider putting those parts up for sale. Someones always looking.

You might consider putting those parts up for sale. Someones always looking.

Thanks Robert - I'll probably put them on kijiji up here in Canada - maybe see if I can get a nice tank bag out of the deal. Just have to figure out what the 'kit' is worth.

Thanks Robert - I'll probably put them on kijiji up here in Canada - maybe see if I can get a nice tank bag out of the deal. Just have to figure out what the 'kit' is worth.

Depending on how many parts (chain/links/brake line/extensions/rear brake extender/lowering links) you have u should be able to get I would prob say like $200 for the setup. Just curious why are you unstretching?

Depending on how many parts (chain/links/brake line/extensions/rear brake extender/lowering links) you have u should be able to get I would prob say like $200 for the setup. Just curious why are you unstretching?

I don't drag race, and I wanted to see the difference going back to stock in terms of handling, etc. I've heard (repeatedly) about how stretching adversely affects handling - but wanted to find out first hand. Frankly, I didn't mind it when it was stretched, and I like that look - but wanted to go stock to have a base reference point. I may keep the stuff for awhile in case I want to go back to stretched. Now that I'm experienced with this, I could swap the parts out easily enough. And thank you for the ballpark value - I figured around $200 would be a fair price.

Back