Thoughts on VN2000

BlueBacon

Donating Member
Registered
I'd like to get a cruiser so I can have a ride of each style and not kill my back bringing home dinner when I go to the store. :D

Being the guy that doesn't want to putt around with the same bikes as every one else, I've been drooling over the Vulcan 2000 for the last few years. I've seen ONE on the road in the last 5 years...it's big, it's bad, it turns like a pregnant whale. I was wondering what y'alls thoughts might be on it, if anyone here has owned/ridden one, etc.
kawasaki-vulcan-2000-classic-lt-2007-moto.jpg

I look on the kawi forum, but it's practically a ghost town...replies take forever.

I know they had an issue with the rear wheel bearings, which was fixed in models made after 2006-end of production. I'm also looking at the version without the alien headlight: Vulcan 2000 classic (pictured above with the stock saddlebags, removeable windshield, floodlight...all that chrome has to go away though...

It would be a stark contrast to your Hayabusa as it weighs close to an HD.

The good thing is they can be had for good prices and are reliable as heck. My opinion is-if this is something you have been wanting then go get one. They have hydraulic valves so that is one less thing to maintain.

@BlueBacon
What else have you got in the barn besides the Busa?

I recently picked up an ADV (VStrom 1000) which I use as a cruiser bike. Perfect for runs that require luggage, upright riding position, an engine as reliable as a SCOTUS appointment, a bike that doesn't mind a little mud and rain - or being dumped into the sand. Another stable Suzuki platform that encourages customization.

Not as unique as a Vulcan, granted, but perhaps more versatile, if ADV's interest you.

Just a thought.

through the kindness of a dealer I knew I got to ride the 1500 1600 and the 2000
The 2 litre was by far the heaviest and had the most vibration and to be honest not enough faster or more calm while riding to be worth what I felt were draw backs The 1500 was far nicer in terms of riding for longer distances I especially like the Man Streak version lots of Tyre choices same breaks as early Busa's handled well and was a comfy ride
All that said a buddy of mine kept trading up and positively LOVED his 2000 Vulcan So far as I know he still has it and he is a rider who goes far or fast though not often both at the same time
So if that is what you want I think you will find it a good mount for the purpose of cruising for a long time if not perhaps as quickly as you are use to :)

@BlueBacon
What else have you got in the barn besides the Busa?
A kayak and junk covered in dust :p I considered getting a dual-purpose bike for a while, but more often I kept finding myself eyeing cruisers. I just love the look of a big bad bagger on two wheels!

I especially like the Man Streak version...
So if that is what you want I think you will find it a good mount for the purpose of cruising for a long time if not perhaps as quickly as you are use to :)
The mean streak and V-rod look sweet...especially the red/black edition of the mean streak:drool: it looks like a hot rod on two wheels!
but I want something "fast", bagged, and let's me lean back in the seat with my feet up. I keep eyeing the V2K because it looks like a massive HD if it didn't have a "Kawasaki" badge every 6 inches.

I think I have the cruiser/sportsbike itch from my dad as he has always had one of each. I'll throw up pics when we put them back together...both of his bikes are torn apart for paint/rebuild for now.

I found one in New Orleans I am going to go look at next week! It's the same color as the one I stole from google and posted up top...eventually that'll change to Rubb's looks...red/black and blacked chrome.
It pretty much has everything I want but a batwing fairing and aftermarket pipes. I'll slap some pics up if I can reach the handlebars and take it home :laugh:

Bat wing fairings are readily available from different suppliers Did a 300 mile ride one the ZRX today mostly flat lands and farm country. Straight as an arrow for the most part
Self I said Perhaps a comfy cruiser is in your future after all
. I know the local Honda has a Mean streak in the used section Maybe time to ditch the Speed Triple and see what they really want for it
Or just have faith the N+1 is a real thing
I do wonder sometimes Why do all my bikes have monster torque engines
then I roll on in fifth and the question answers itself :)
Good luck in the Bayou
JP

I do wonder sometimes Why do all my bikes have monster torque engines
then I roll on in fifth and the question answers itself :)
Right?? Can't just have the same slow thing as everyone else! I'm subconsciously just one upping all my friends by being the scrawny guy (165lbs) with the biggest bikes...if a Boss Hoss made any gas mileage, I'd probably try to buy a used one of those, LOL!

I know a guy down here who has 2 of them, they actually seem to handle quite well for a whale as we've ridden a 'few' kms together , they are reliable as hell.
Like Bumblebee sez If ya want one and can go get it :)
I have never ridden a cruiser, only been a passenger. So we'll see how my stubby arms handle a wide turn. From what I've been reading, they handle great once they are moving so I'm willing to deal with the weight as long as I can reach the controls.
Hardest part is finding room in my garage...already have my busa and my roommate's Roadking. Gotta figure out how 100" monster :crazy:+ bags and bars on the side is going to squeeze in!

Don t know much about them but being a Japanese bike you should not have any major issues with them I remember they came out here in a dark purple color scheme which looked pretty cool good luck hey :thumbsup:

Well, I traveled to New Orleans with an empty trailer and came back with the same thing.
Couldn't snag any decent footage of the noise, but it sounded like the rear hub (most likely) or primary drive was failing
shocked[1].gif
Sitting on the stand it sounded great! While riding around you could hear a loud metallic whine and the clanking of loose light coverings...test rode it a whopping 2 blocks, came back and got my money. Wasted 9hrs of driving and $55 on the trailer rental.

On a positive note, the V2K was not as heavy feeling as I thought it would be! I could reach the bars/controls without an issue and was able to walk fairly easily on flat ground.
Having only ever ridden sports bikes made that thing feel so alien...arms out front? flat footed?? looking through a windshield?!? Definitely going to take time to get used too riding when I buy one.

Back