Thoughts on crashing

Crashing sux. I have been down a few times and it aint fun at all! If you havn't been down yet, you will. IMO it is inevitable. Best thing you can do is buy the best gear possible and always have your eyes in the back of your head watching. If you are riding with a group and you know that your riding abilities are not as good as some of the others, then you absolutely should not be riding up front. There is nothing wrong with being the guy who has to "fade back" rather to push yourself past your limits.

It is very easy to go to a place like the Gap or Laconia and get all juiced up with excitement only to hurt yourself and others.

If you havn't been down yet, you will. IMO it is inevitable.
I do not subscribe to this self fullfilling prophecy...

I do believe in preparing for it... If you ride over your head, if you ride in a daze, if you play with MP3 players, GPS, Cell phones or anything else, I think you GREATLY increase your chances however..

Every single day I ride, I have what could be called a "Close Call"

I ride with extreme awareness of what is going on around me and at speeds appropriate for conditions..

In towns or anyplace with a driveway? any movement is going to garner my attention and reaction. I watch the drivers eyes and the wheels on the car.. I know when I have been seen or when the guy is going to do something stupid... I am prepared..

Speed: Yea I get on the right hand when I KNOW it is not going to result in a crash.. Guys that have ridden with me can vouch for my "cowardice" when things are not right.. Yet I will roll at the limit of my own ability if I know I am safe..

35+ years having fun on my big bikes and no contact with pavement or cars.... (knock on wood)

and yes, I might be the last guy in the driveway on a group ride, but I had the time of my life and made the final turn on 2 wheels....

Thank you for your insight Danny; I hope others read it and learn from it...

When I bought my Busa, I too found myself trying to keep up with the others on ECHR rides. It didn't take me long to realize that I can't and don't ride like others do; most have a lot more years of riding than I have, have been on sport bikes longer, etc...I know I'm lucky that I never got hurt trying to keep up with some of the riders.

I take the needling on the chicken planks and that I'm usually near the back on most rides, it took me two trips to Deal's Gap to even think about riding the Dragon, but I do that for two reasons: 1) I love my children and that's all I think about when I'm riding and 2) I don't want to prevent others from riding their ride...I'm 100% behind letting those more skilled to run ahead; I'll catch up when I catch up...

I'm proud of my mini-achievements (like scrubbing in new tires on the Dragon of all places and actually leaning the damn bike; 2 years ago you couldn't have convinced me I'd ever do that)...I love running the sweepers and think I do fairly well on 'em...these are all things I really learned by WATCHING more experienced riders ahead of me, seat time and just knowing my Busa, so "mentoring" with those willing to hang back a bit goes a long, long way...

Brings me to another important part of riding that I've always had the fortune of experiencing with the gang on h.oRg...while some are out riding their ride, there's always one or two that are willing to fall back and make sure everyone's OK, or there are some that simply don't mind hanging behind me to make sure there are no issues...to me, they're giving up riding their ride, but I suppose it's only for a little while and it's small sacrifice that goes a long way to help the newer riders.

I must have said it a hundred times this weekend, and I hope others start saying it as well when we do these group rides: I've got nothing to prove...

...that's what I think brings me back home every time...
thumb_up.gif

What about other ride participants? Is there some point at which when we see a rider in front of or behind us riding erratically or clearly being in over their heads should cause us to look for ways to defuse that situation? And if it does, what action could we take? If we're able to pass, could we get in front of the rider in trouble and slow down? Or maybe even stop and flag them down? Again, we don't really have a legal obligation to, and if we fail to take action, the person in an accident has no recourse against us, but would it be worth it anyway?
I was following my dad on a nice Ozark road in Arkansas when this happened to me. He was leading our group of three on his Goldwing, and the pace got a little fast for him. He was pushing way past his and the bikes limit. At one point he actually came into a corner too hot and the bike went into a weird wobble. He got on the brakes and slowed down alot, but still went off the road into the grass. He was lucky he hit the only place on the road that didn't have a guard rail and a drop off.

That was bad enough, but then less than a half mile further down the road, he pulled out to pass a car in a no passing zone on a hill. Of course, there was a car popping over the hill just as he was passing. I was right there when it happened and it was very close. The cars both hit their brakes and their horns. He barely ducked in between them, and I just watched in horror (this is my dad remember).

I passed the car as soon as I got a chance and started thinking about what I should do. I finally passed him and motioned for everyone to pull into a gas station. I didn't confront him directly about his riding, but I figured he needed to take a minute off the bike to calm down a bit. We talked about it later and he still swears that he wasn't riding too hard. He says the bike has something wrong with it causing the wobble, and he would have made the pass even if the cars had not hit the brakes. But I know better.

What about other ride participants?  Is there some point at which when we see a rider in front of or behind us riding erratically or clearly being in over their heads should cause us to look for ways to defuse that situation?  And if it does, what action could we take?  If we're able to pass, could we get in front of the rider in trouble and slow down?  Or maybe even stop and flag them down?  Again, we don't really have a legal obligation to, and if we fail to take action, the person in an accident has no recourse against us, but would it be worth it anyway?
I was following my dad on a nice Ozark road in Arkansas when this happened to me.  He was leading our group of three on his Goldwing, and the pace got a little fast for him.  He was pushing way past his and the bikes limit.  At one point he actually came into a corner too hot and the bike went into a weird wobble.  He got on the brakes and slowed down alot, but still went off the road into the grass.  He was lucky he hit the only place on the road that didn't have a guard rail and a drop off.

That was bad enough, but then less than a half mile further down the road, he pulled out to pass a car in a no passing zone on a hill.  Of course, there was a car popping over the hill just as he was passing.  I was right there when it happened and it was very close.  The cars both hit their brakes and their horns.  He barely ducked in between them, and I just watched in horror (this is my dad remember).

I passed the car as soon as I got a chance and started thinking about what I should do.  I finally passed him and motioned for everyone to pull into a gas station.  I didn't confront him directly about his riding, but I figured he needed to take a minute off the bike to calm down a bit.  We talked about it later and he still swears that he wasn't riding too hard.  He says the bike has something wrong with it causing the wobble, and he would have made the pass even if the cars had not hit the brakes.  But I know better.
You know, I gave this a lot of thought before I posted it. I've never seen an accident unfold in front of me while I was riding, but I've seen a lot of guys who needed to back off - and a lot of them have made it through those situations without me confronting them. But I think that if I ever saw that situation and did nothing about it and then watched the worst happen, I would be seriously unhappy with myself over it to say the least. Enough so that I think it's worth risking someone getting upset with me or even thinking I'm a little old lady for it. I'm just not prepared for people around me to get seriously injured or worse.

Back