The Parts Needed After Buying A Turbo Kit ?

xc700

Donating Member
Registered
I have 2005 gen 1 busa with 50,000 miles on it, my plans are to rebuild the motor with new rods,crankshaft lightened and balanced, transmission back cut with a bigger output shaft. the turbo kit I was thinking about is a rcc stage 2 turbo kit. the main goal is to have a reliable turbo bike that runs on 93 pump gas, what parts are overlooked when considering building a turbo bike such as electronics, controllers or to run bigger valves or to port the cylinder head and when should the pros take over on the bike rebuild ?

I have 2005 gen 1 busa with 50,000 miles on it, my plans are to rebuild the motor with new rods,crankshaft lightened and balanced, transmission back cut with a bigger output shaft. the turbo kit I was thinking about is a rcc stage 2 turbo kit. the main goal is to have a reliable turbo bike that runs on 93 pump gas, what parts are overlooked when considering building a turbo bike such as electronics, controllers or to run bigger valves or to port the cylinder head and when should the pros take over on the bike rebuild ?

I am sure that whoever you are purchasing this turbo system from will be more than happy to help you with your entire build. You will need to decide what your targets and goals are for this bike. POWERHOUSE is having a sale on RCC Turbo kits for org members, there are two more days left. We would want you to end up with the best bike you ever owned and will do our best to get your there . . .

To start You'll need- aem failsafe that covers both boost & fuel, IC, t-clamps for all hoses, 3 port?, great tune, E85 will make more power & run cooler, head studs?, eetc,.,

Last edited:
thanks I kind of lost when it comes to aem stuff , what is a 3 port ? what is a IC ? I would run e 85 because higher octane rating but worried about the fuel flow, my dad runs e85 in his drag car you have to run about 2 x the fuel through the motor than pump gas, can the bike flow enough fuel without spending a ton money? I am not worried about dyno numbers just want a reliable bike that does not cost a lot of money to keep running. I was going to hire the pros for the tune and the electronics to run the turbo

Larger intakes IF you plan to make over 600 hp. AMS 1000 or 2000 bost controller, AEM Failsafe is good like Busabus said. It has a boost cut function that can be set to send out a sugnal to the AMS to kill boost if it measuresca lean condition. Porting seems acwaste unless you're wanting to make huge numbers. Some like billet clutch baskets. Also, RCC boost compensated lock up is pretty cool (still on my wish list).
If you talk to RCC or Powerhouse they can set you up.

For e85 you need bigger injectors and a better flowing pump. You need bigger injectors anyways!
If it was me if i could, Id tune for 93 & e85

For e85 you need bigger injectors and a better flowing pump. You need bigger injectors anyways!
If it was me if i could, Id tune for 93 & e85
I am set in my mind that I will run E85 it is at most gas stations here. Anyone what is max hp E85 can push on gen 2?

The real question is what are your power goals? Yes you said you want a bike that runs reliably on pump gas, and that's easy depending on what your power goals are.

If it's not a max effort build, porting the head, and oversized valves aren't going to give you much bang for the buck, specially under 500hp. Hell we've had stock head and cam bikes well over 600hp. Balancing the crankshaft isn't going to be much benefit either. On a street bike that isn't gonna live it's life at 12k rpm there's money better spent other places.

If you're doing rods you're better off also doing pistons. Good head, and main studs are also strongly suggested. You'll need a base spacer with turbo pistons, along with hd valve springs, and adjustable cam gears. Back cutting the trans is a must, along with a hd output shaft being that it's a gen 1.

With a stage 2 turbo kit you can run a maximum of about 420hp non innercooled. However without race fuel or 93 and meth, you won't see that hp on straight pump fuel. Another option would be e85 and some meth would get you there too, but it would be worth getting the 1000cc secondary injectors to make sure you have enough fuel.

Now take that stage 2 kit and add a intercooler, you can make 420hp on pump fuel.

We run the aem failsafe on everything that comes out of our shop. For the money spent you get a wideband, boostgauge, and datalogging. Good valve for a wideband that reads on point with our extremely expensive laboratory grade NGK set up on our dyno.

I wouldn't waste money on tbolt clamps as if you buy an Rcc kit, the clamps are sufficient for stupid amounts of boost.

If you're not very handy we also like to use the ams-2000 as we can set 5 different boost settings. Just turn the knob, and go gap your buddies on the freeway.

We can set you up with everything you need for your goals, and if you're close to Houston, we can also do the build, and tune. If you're not close to Houston we can assist you with shipping your bike down like 70% of our customers do. It's all up to you.

If your always into 100% RACE MODE then YES to meth, if your not into 100% RACE MODE all the time NO to meth!
It isnt fun riding a bike on meth, either your on it hard or not on it! No in-between, one thing you can have smaller injectors when on meth, you wont need huge injectors and better flowing pump, on 93 your gonna be dissapointed with the low power fast!

Do both tunes and Switch over whenever you switch gas.
If you tune for e85 you wont have to do any porting to squeeze every hp. The e85 is like 106+ octane. Youll save hp making money!

PS- The failsafe isnt really a failsafe! By the time the failsafe sees it, its to late!

Last edited:
It isnt fun riding a bike on meth, either your on it hard or not on it! No in-between, one thing you can have smaller injectors when on meth, you wont need huge injectors and better dloeung pump, on 93 your gonna be dissapointed with the low power fast!
Do both tunes and Switch over whenever you switch gas.
If you tune for e85 you wont have to do any porting to squeeze every hp. The e85 is like 106+ octane. Youll save hp making money!

PS- The failsafe isnt really a failsafe! By the time the failsafe sees it, its to late!

Where do you get your experience from? I've never never built a bike that uses meth that is on or off like a light switch.

If the guy that built the bike sets it up right the meth will only be on when in boost. When I set up a bike on meth usually if it's not a progressive system, it will usually come on around 10psi, which is high enough where you usually won't tag it when rolling in to the throttle to pass on the highway for example.

Saying you can use smaller injectors in conjunction with meth isn't entirely true. While yes you can indeed use meth injection to fuel way over your injectors capabilities, doing such is extremely dangerous. We use meth as a safety buffer. Meaning the meth system could not come on and the engine will still likely live. Where as spraying enough to make up for small injectors is melted pistons waiting to happen.

We make around 350whp on pump/meth which is more then a lot of guys can use on the street. On 93 with an ultra plenum 420hp all day on pump gas.

Lastly these bike don't make any noticeable power increases on e85 vs 93. Combustion chambers are too inefficient to handle more timing which is where you see most of your gains on e85.

thanks for the information, how long would a tank of methanol last if your at the drag strip say about 7 passes ? I want a bike that I could drive to the track about 100 miles race all day and drive back without touching it or just take a 300 mile ride. I would be happy at 350-325 hp I thought a stage 2 turbo would be better for tuning with the second injectors for a gen 1 busa. I don't know anybody with turbo bike or seen one run at the strip the only bikes I see run are big motor with nitrous and when I see anything with a turbo run they are all over the place for times and mph.

That's a lot of hypotheticals to be honest. On that 100 mile ride are you beating on it or just cruising? Obviously the more you mean on it the more meth will be used. A progressive system will be more efficient with the consumption as its dynamic based off boost.

The other thing is capacity. You really can't get a big tank on a bike. The smaller the tank, the faster you will go through it. To me that's the biggest downfall for using meth on a bike, as you can't carry a lot of it.

This bike here we just finished last week. The swing arm had provisions for a nitrous bottle, so we modified the bottle to hold methanol instead. Holds right at a half a gallon.

Or you could avoid all the headaches and put an ultra plenum on it.

your spraying meth to keep the motor from detonation, yes I was talking 93 for fuel source that you can buy on the road. meth you cant buy at the local gas station that why I asking about how long it would last because of the capacity of tank.

Where do you get your experience from? I've never never built a bike that uses meth that is on or off like a light switch.

If the guy that built the bike sets it up right the meth will only be on when in boost. When I set up a bike on meth usually if it's not a progressive system, it will usually come on around 10psi, which is high enough where you usually won't tag it when rolling in to the throttle to pass on the highway for example.

Saying you can use smaller injectors in conjunction with meth isn't entirely true. While yes you can indeed use meth injection to fuel way over your injectors capabilities, doing such is extremely dangerous. We use meth as a safety buffer. Meaning the meth system could not come on and the engine will still likely live. Where as spraying enough to make up for small injectors is melted pistons waiting to happen.

We make around 350whp on pump/meth which is more then a lot of guys can use on the street. On 93 with an ultra plenum 420hp all day on pump gas.

Lastly these bike don't make any noticeable power increases on e85 vs 93. Combustion chambers are too inefficient to handle more timing which is where you see most of your gains on e85.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE TUNE!
YOUR MELTDOWNS PROBABLY HAPPENED WHEN YOUR TUNES WERE TO RICH! EGT GUAGE WILL HELP WITH THAT!
Im not saying to use smaller injectors, im saying you wont need huge injectors if your using meth too! Meth acts like a secondary fuel.
Again even if they were smaller injectors, you would tune her to keep the idc safe so no blow up, right?? Or do you guys dont care and just tune them past 100% idc?? Thats what your making it sound like! Is that why you see meltdowns? How about you guys start tunning for max SAFE power? you wont have to worry about anything then!
Dont you guys take that in account when tunning a bike?
Doesnt all that matter to you guys?
Not everyone can afford all the parts, but can still get tuned correctly and safe! NO?
Meth is great on the track, but isnt a fun DD!

I hate shady mechanics that dont give a "crap" about nothing except the money

*edited by MCM for language*

Last edited by a moderator:
Back